Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
dakk3's profile

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Jul 27, 2022 1:30 AM

Getting apartment rewired

Good evening, 

We are having our apartment rewired this week due to slower than expected internet speeds. We are in an area that has fiber and we pay for the 2Gbps plan. I understand that these numbers are best case scenario and many factors go in to what is actually being pushed to a device and to/from the gateway. However, when an ethernet cord is plugged in, we receive around 90Mbps down and about 15Mbps up. After speaking to a customer service rep, we determined that the gateway is receiving around 2500Mbps down and close to the same up. After plugging a device directly into the modem, the speed test on the device proved that the issue with slow speeds while plugged into the ports is due to old wiring throughout the apartment that is incapable of handling higher speeds such as those being displayed while being plugged directly into the modem. Our solution is to have a technician come out and rewire the apartment with upgraded cables. My question is this; how much does this usually cost when the apartment is already wired, but a cable upgrade is to be performed and how long will it typically take? Note: I have spoken with the apartment manager and she stated that the upgrades are allowed as long as long as AT&T performs them. 

TL;DR: We are having our already wired apartment rewired with upgraded ethernet wiring so that we can utilize the speeds we pay for. How much would this typically cost? 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.5K Messages

2 m مضت

I would not expect an ATT tech to rewire an apartment, that is the responsibility of the owner of the building.

This should be a company that specializes in low voltage wiring that will charge by time and materials, I would estimate $100 to $150 per line. Different markets will have various pricing levels. 

But this would be a billable charge, ATT provided wiring to the gateway... the inside wiring is the property owners not ATT

• 

4 Messages

2 m مضت

According to the CSR, the technician will come out and rewire the single unit and then charge accordingly. The CSR scheduled the technician on the phone. 

• 

4 Messages

2 m مضت

It should also be noted that the complex exclusively use AT&T 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.5K Messages

2 m مضت

ATT did not wire the building initially, someone else did.

The reason why the landlord approves of ATT doing it is the company  ills the account holder, you. Instead of the property owner.

I would treat this as inside wiring issue such as circuit breaker keeps tripping needing an electrician.... you do not pay for the electrical work needing to be done your landlord does... thus the landlord hires the electrician. 

Techs will not open walls, or run any new wiring to rooms. They will only replace ends of existing wiring and charge accordingly. 

If your apartment wiring cannot support the higher speeds either have the landlord resolve the wiring they own, not ATT owned, or lower your speed tier to what will work with existing wiring.

Just my thoughts..

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.