For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Pjgdfw's profile

1 Message

Friday, February 2nd, 2024 2:14 AM

Fiber to my home

I have asked 3 different locations here near my home in dallas and they have all said fiber is avail at my home. When the tech comes out to install, he tells me it has to be run aerial into my house from the main box. I have heard many issues with aerial wiring and the repeat failure of it. The tech say they do not bury the wire and that would be my own expense and so would have to arrange that on my own. That seems like a terrible deal for a customer who wants to sign up for you service. Is there anything you can guide me on here?

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 months ago

If the fiber terminal is on a pole, the tech expectation is aerial pole to house.

In many communities this is the normal, is wiring subject to elements and animals, yes have been for decades…

high winds from storms including hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, trees and tree limbs falling, heavy snow / icing on wiring, squirrels and other animals potential chewing or building nests in terminals such as wasps, etc.

But wiring underground is also suspect to causes that can cause issues.

ATT in most markets including Southwestern Bell has to hire a contractor to bury wiring underground, this is an additional expense for the company which is offering you the chance to pay for it if desired otherwise SOP or Standard Operating Procedure is aerial service is to be provided aerial, less time and expense for a service you are not being charged for installation.  

Notice if fiber is on the pole, could be a mile or more (5000+ feet) and your concern is for the last 200 to 300 feet.

If a bore is required to go under street, alleyway, driveway, sidewalk, etc adds to the cost and could be $800 to $1000, are you willing to pay that for your $60 to $80 a month internet?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.