Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
fojaker's profile
fojaker
#1 Star!
Helpful 1

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thu, Mar 10, 2016 3:10 PM

Fiber POTS

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum or not but I'm a U-verse Gigapower customer in IL with scheduled fiber POTS installation for tomorrow and I have a few questions given my experience ordering the service and what seems to be a lack of general knowledge from various AT&T departments.

I opted for POTS since in the event of a power outage, I was told that only the ONT would need power and not both the ONT and RG if I choose U-verse Voice.  I assume this is correct.  My current UPS backup that I believe is connected to the ONT is hidden behind a wall, and is the original backup AT&T installed over 8 years ago when I became a U-verse customer.   Does the POTS installation require a new battery backup and power line to work?  Is my current UPS backup (which has no audible signal) sufficient enough for this new POTS line let alone my current Gigapower?  I'm also a little worried that the tech who will install the POTS line will somehow inadvertently mess up the code running Gigapower.  I'm sure that won't be the case but if I told you how complicated it was to set up an appt for POTS you'd understand.  

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Responses

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

Hi @fojaker,

Thanks for contacting us. This information can help other members that have similar questions.

Does the POTS installation require a new battery backup and power line to work? No, as long as you have a phone that does not require power. For example, some phone draw the power from the telephone line itself. Others need a plug. 

Is my current UPS backup (which has no audible signal) sufficient enough for this new POTS line let alone my current Gigapower? This is an item that normal not used for POTS. Using our battery backup to power other devices, like a plugin phone is not recommended. It is designed for U-verse. If you have a phone that needs to be plugged in, we do recommend purchasing a separate battery back up for that. It just depends on the phone you get. Most of them will have information if it requires standalone power or not. 

When the tech gets, just let him know what service you have, that is key when installing any service, not just ATT.

Hope this helps.

ATTU-verseCare 

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.