Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

1 Message

Sun, Sep 26, 2021 3:27 AM

Fiber Optic to Cell Tower running by our house. WIll we have fiber internet option?

We are building a house in a rural area where there is no internet providers worth a dime.  I recently got excited when a Cell Tower was being put up within a 1/4 mile of our build site.  I stopped and asked the workers installing the fiber from the cell tower to the closest major road where they apparently tie into another fiber line.  They told me that we'd have high-speed internet service including TV service available.  I got really excited since I've been working on getting high-speed on our road for quite some time.  However, the people I asked were simply the fiber installers and I began to wonder if they really knew what they were talking about.  When I search for fiber service by address on any of the houses on the major road where they are tying the fiber into, it shows its not available.  So this makes me think, if they don't have it, why would we?  I understand the cell towers are now being fed with fiber to supply higher speeds.  But is this the only reason the fiber is being ran, is for cell service?  Or is it common for people that live near one of those towers to be able to get internet service supplied to their home from the same fiber?   

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.3K Messages

2 m ago

Residential fiber is totally different build, fiber to a point, placement of PFP with additional fiber stands line a spider web to fiber terminal that would provide for multiple addresses at that junction.

ATT, Verizon are performing a major fiber expansion to cell towers for 5G services.

If your going to be accessing that fiber you would need to be purchasing cellular service known as HOMEBASE.

80% of ATT 21 state footprint has hardwired internet service. This is about 60 million addresses with 15 million having direct fiber FTTP at start of 2021 (25%) and another 15 million by end of the 2nd 5 year fiber build (2021-2025).

For the 20% of total addresses (15 million) that will not have any hardwired internet service (rural, semi-rural) the company plans are cell tower internet.

Other options may include satellite internet from a different provider including VIASAT that has been awarded CAF-II funds in select areas to provide internet service.

You may wish to find which company, if any, was awarded CAG-II funding. These buildouts are allowed up to 6 years from time awarded to reach their market(s).

Which zip code are you in?

Is ATT the local ILEC for the area or a different telco such as CenturyLink, Frontier, TDS, Windstream, etc?

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.3K Messages

2 m ago

https://www.lightreading.com/opticalip/is-atandts-fiber-investment-good-idea/d/d-id/770468

AT&T plans to double the number of locations where it offers fiber Internet, from around 15 million to around 30 million, by 2025. To do that, the carrier is planning to increase its annual capital expenses from around $21 billion to around $24 billion.

All that spending will make AT&T the single largest infrastructure investor in the US, according to the Financial Times.

AT&T's overall capex spending will be doled out between its fiber and 5G networks, and the company won't disclose exactly how much it plans to spend on each.

Fiber is the foundation that fuels our network. Expanding our fiber reach serves multiple services hanging off at each strand of fiber. It includes macro cell sites, small cell sites, wholesale services, enterprise, small business, and fiber that's extended directly into our customers' homes and into businesses," explained AT&T's Arroyo.

https://about.att.com/story/2021/5g_strategy.html

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.