Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
J

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Jun 16, 2021 4:49 PM

Fiber optic cable / U Verse in Gainesville 32608 area code

Question: WHEN (real date and timeframe) is Fiber optic / Uverse going to be installed and available in our development (Tower 24). We live in Tower 24 and would like fiber optic, as now we have DSL. DSL is being phased out, and if you cancel or drop the phone line, it is not re-installed, so we are stuck with D (Darned) S (slow) L (lines). OR we can leave and go to a competitor. Or go to satellite options. 

Constructive

Employee

• 

23.7K Messages

4 m ago

they dont share future services with the public or front line employees

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

4 m ago

This is a public, customer populated forum only. It is not an AT&T Support forum. AT&T does not make public their detailed future installation plans so there's no way to know what those plans will be. If you can't wait, then go with a service that is already available in your zip code and location.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.2K Messages

4 m ago

Zip code 32608 is over 35% fiber... not all addresses will receive fiber.

Some zip codes are over 90% fiber while others are less than 5% fiber.

With over 15 million fiber addresses at the start of 2021 in 90+ markets in 21 states deployed from 2016 to 2020... ATT had committed to adding almost another 50% or 7 million additional addresses over the 2 year span of 2021-2022. 

The majority of this expansion will be in 3 areas... new construction developments, MDUs of apartment / condo complexes where requested and neighborhoods where FTTN (current internet speeds of 25-100) exists. 

Again not all will receive the upgrades, and I do not expect upgrades to stop at end of 2022... just have to wait for announcements about 2023-2025 planned buildouts. I am hopefully that 50% of current hardwired addresses or about 30+ million will have direct fiber option by end of 2025. 

DSL is being phased out, that is LEGACY DSL with best speed of 6 and 150G data cap. IF your area is UVERSE ADSL2+ with best speed of 18 and 1T data cap, that is not being phased out.

Note if TOWER 24 is an MDU complex of apartments and/or condos the property management has to contact ATT CONNECTED COMMUNITES to discuss receiving a proposal for fiber upgrade.

https://www.att.com/connectme/residents/

Is AT&T Fiber available at apartments and condos?
Yes, AT&T FiberSM is available in many apartments and condos. If you are a property manager and want ultra-fast internet in your building, you can nominate your property for consideration. If you’re a resident in an AT&T Fiber community, check your address to see if your unit can get it.
For a listing on 3.8+ million addresses where ATT fiber is available in MDUs...

• 

5 Messages

4 m ago

We are mixed with both commercial, rental apartments and owned condo units over the commercial area,  villas, detached villas and 8 single family homes. We are in one of the single family homes. I know fiber optic is in some of the businesses. It might be available in the commercial and the rental apartments above the commercial areas. It is frustrating to see the new build areas getting the fiber availability and not us. It comes down to money and demand. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

4 m ago

You can normally order commercial fiber, even when residential fiber is not available.  But the cost structure is much different (much higher in all respects, at least add a zero to the end of the number you'd expect for residential service for installation and monthly service).  But you do get dedicated fiber, instead of sharing it with up to 32 others.

• 

5 Messages

4 m ago

The problem here seems I need immediate answers and don't get much tangible changes or real solid answers. The AT&T reps have all really helpful, basically stating if we cancelled the Phone or Internet service, we would never get the crappy DSL back as they are phasing out DSL. In other words, the crappy copper wires that run our DSL is basically being patched as it can to keep the service somewhat working. It is slow as can be. It is 4.40 mbps download and .39 mbps, so we can't have the multitude of devices we need with today's usages. It (Edited per community guidelines) to be so disenfranchised as 40+ years as a customer. I don't like satellite as an answer. I like fiber optic cable as an answer and I have lost all patience to wait any longer. How do I "cut the line"????

(edited)

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.5K Messages

4 m ago

Sorry you are stuck in a High speed desert. But it is your building that is responsible not a carrier.

To cancel phone call 611, to call DSL call 1-800-288-2020.

I think you need to setup an alternate provider and though did not mention it I bet it is Cable service.

Sorry,

Dave

• 

5 Messages

4 m ago

Dave,

This is a small community and is a Single Family home. The developer has no real say, as we are all on our own services for cable TV, DirecTv or other sources. It is a desert for internet and a few of the communities near us. The "new developments" of single family homes have the fiber optic by AT&T as well as Cox cable. Cox is a very poor service provider in many opinions (we did have Cox at one point for TV service and hated them). So, bottom line, we feel a little "stuck" and we would rather have AT&T as they know "some day" the problem will be solved. It is kind of like we are begging to be internet tortured. 

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.5K Messages

4 m ago

Ahh your reference to Tower 24 through me off.

You are still stuck with limited options. The reason that AT&T is adding Fiber in new developments is that's the only service now offered. Have you looked at some of the very new fixed wireless home internet options?

Right now AT&T only offers Fixed wireless in rural areas but are preparing to roll out 5G Fixed wireless in many areas. Keep checking.

T-Mobile has a new Fixed Wireless 5G option in some markets that you might explore. https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/plan

Verizon is also an option to look at https://www.verizon.com/5g/home/

Dave

• 

5 Messages

2 m ago

I am on "Hope Island" in thinking someone at AT&T is monitoring this website, as they have decided to have it offered as an outlet for anger and as a information tool. I have a true problem and have had a true problem with the DSL ((Edited per community guidelines) Slow Line)(wired) Internet service into this neighborhood in Gainesville, Florida 32608. I am at the absolute end of my proverbial rope and get upset every time I hear an AT&T commercial. I have been a 35 + year client. I have EVERYTHING with this company for decades. I moved from SOFLO to NCFL 5 years ago and have been in internet service (Edited per community guidelines) ever since.  There are fiber optics being run into new developments (the lower grade) as well as corporate businesses within THIS neighborhood! I have a LONG history as I have called to report every outage. I keep having to go through the foreign service teams as well as US Based teams. I have 20 numbers of departments. Technical depart KNOWS the problem, but there is NO LOYALTY to return to me and my family. You say...well just move your service. I don't want to! SO, I get "lip service" and Oh Well type conversations. They tell me to add boosters. This is 2021 and every device I have runs on WiFi, so I am stuck with being a dis-satisfied LOYAL client who they must KNOW will keep calling. I am not a (Edited per community guidelines), but will tell you my next call will be very pointed. I will NOT cooperate. I am going to the public press, newspapers, Internet groups online and anyone else who will hear my angst. I will make them give me internet for free as long as this DSL stays in this house.  If they think it is too expensive to run fiber optic the 125 yards to get it to my house, then they will figure out it's even more expensive to keep this cruddy DSL line into this neighborhood. 

(edited)

Constructive

Employee

• 

23.7K Messages

2 m ago

Take it to the press why? They aren’t required to provide service to anyone. I guarantee if you call the press saying AT&T won’t provide me with higher speed service they will hang up or chuckle. AT&T does not monitor the forums so you won’t get a response from them other than to tell you to check the availability website and sign up for notifications when and if fiber is available to you. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.