Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
wbgett's profile

2 Messages

Monday, November 6th, 2023 5:54 PM

Fiber Optic Cable Install Process

Install process from street to Gateway inside home? 

ie:  technician makes connection at street and runs cable to gateway inside home?  Is there a j box on the outside wall of the home connecting the cable to the street? Then the 2nd cable runs from the j box on the outside wall to the Gateway connection box inside

the home?  Virtually have no attic space.  Need to know so I can prepare a way for the technician to get the cable from the out side j box to  an inside wall where the Gateway has to be placed.  The technician connects all the equipment and then another crew is scheduled to bury the cable? The customer is responsible for setting up the equipment?

Former Employee

• 

22.1K Messages

4 months ago

J box is called a NID (network interface device)

Is the street connection on a pole? If yes, the drop wire should be aerial to the house. If no, then tech will place fiber drop on the ground for future burial with unknown date… hopefully within 30 days.

The equipment is an ONT and gateway, as either two separate items or as a single unit (BGW-320). The average install is around 3+ hours from arrival. A flexible fiber is ran from the NID to the ONT location.

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

hen the tech came to bury my fiberoptic cable he cut my irrigation line, how do I get compensated for repairs 

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

when the tech came to bury my fiberoptic cable he cut my irrigation line, how do I get compensated for repairs 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.2K Messages

4 months ago

You should have opened your own thread to ask for help instead of intruding in someone else’s.  

2 Messages

4 months ago

Installation (DIY'ers)

Cleared a horizontal pathway (80")under the foundation outside wall, under the slab up through the slab, the inside wall plate to where the gateway  was to be placed.  Drilled 1" hole through the wall plate & slab.  Used sectional fiberglass fish tape to pull heavy string from the inside wall to outside.  Ordered the service online the evening of the 8th.  Technician arrived on the 9th.  Ran 3/4" PVC flex conduit from outside j box up through inside wall.  Installation and equipment setup was completed by the technician in 3 hrs.  On the 14th, the cable from the street to the house was buried.  All AT&T people involved were very professional and efficient.  DIY'ers.  Fabricated a 3/4" PVC  jet pipe with a water hose "shut-off" on on end  and flattened other end. This with an 8' x 1 x 4 dug out a channel to the inner wall.  Work the jet pipe on top of the 1 x 4 to excavate the loosened soil.  Be prepared to deal with any roots you may encounter.   Very important to prevent intrusion of termites: seal space in the inner wall between the PVC and concrete slab.

1 Message

4 months ago

I think yes... There are j boxes where all the connections are connected in the form of fibers for the internet. There should be a j box outside of your home wall which will be connected throughout the wireline. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.