For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jpsimons8244's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 2:48 AM

Fiber Line Cut by AT&T contractors and I can't get an ETA on when Service will be restored

I have had Uverse with Gigapower for a month and it's been working beautifully, until yesterday that is.  AT&T has contractors pulling more fiber because the service is in high demand in my neighborhood.  Well, the contractors cut the main line and several of us on my block are without service.  I had a technician come out today and he confirmed that this was the problem and he put in a work order to engineering to fix the cable.  I can't seem to get an update from anyone about when they will have techs out.  One of my neighbors was apparently told that someone wouldn't be out until at least next Tuesday (a week out).  This is the most unacceptable thing I have ever heard of.  The contractors were still pulling cable today and they couldn't fix the line?  It's even more disturbing that no one in technical support can talk to engineering to get any type of ETA.  It's like they are a separate entity and can only comunicate through a ticket. I could be without service for over a week. 

The funny thing is that I've been recommending Uverse to all my neighbors and telling how great it is.  Because of this lack of support, I'm going to recommend that they cancel their orders with AT&T.  Google Fiber will be here in less than a year and perhaps there customer service is better.  If you asked me a week ago, I would have said that I really don't need Google Fiber since I'm so happy with AT&T, but that's not the case anymore. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, but AT&T or in this case someone working on behalf of AT&T, cut the cable.  They need to fix this.  Utilities have crews out to repair things all the time and mostly in a timely manner.  Perhaps they need to train more people how to splice fiber?  It's not a skill that takes years to master.  If they are looking at wide-spread deployments in this area, they are also going to have many more incedents of cut fiber.  They need to figure out how to get these fixed in a timely manner whether it's a consumer grade service or not.  Luckily for the first time, the area I live in has a choice of providers.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Just spoke to support again this morning and they told me the ticket now shows an ETA of Friday.  But that doesn't mean it will happen Friday.  Could be longer!  I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but Time Warner Cable support was better and I've never experienced a multi day outage with them.   

Our neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods use a social medial outlet called Nextdoor.  A lot of people have been concidering moving to AT&T but based on this experience, I'm going to warn them that they may want to hold off.  This is deal breaker for anyone who may work from home.  An outage that approaches a week is just unacceptable service no matter if you're a consumer or a business. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

They now list Friday as the start date to fix the problem with the resolution date as October 2nd.  That's right two weeks without service!  Is that any way to run a business?  Goodbye AT&T it's been fun while it lasted.  I'm going to make sure everyone I know understands what could happen if they get Gigapower.  If 2 weeks is an acceptable period of time to be without service, more power to you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I'm going to post this to Nextdoor.com which includes surrounding neighborhoods and probably reaches close to 1000 households:

Hello everyone! I have to say that until this week I've been a very happy customer of Uverse with Gigapower. This Monday as most of you know, AT&T contractors were out pulling more fiber in our neighborhood. They apparently severed one of the main feeder lines and left at least three houses without service. I had a repair person come out on Tuesday and he confirmed that this is what happened. I have been on the phone several times with technical support to try to get an ETA as to when this would be fixed but they would not give me an answer until today. Just a little while ago they told me that according to the service ticket they put in, repairs would not start until Friday and the work would not be completed until at least 10/2. That's two weeks without any internet or TV service!! As you can imagine, I'm in the process of trying to cancel my service. I did sign a year contract, but it sounds like they have a way to override that.

Because of this situation, I just can't recommend Uverse to anyone. You would think since they were responsible for the damage to the line, they would have someone out ASAP fixing it, but I guess we are not high enough of a priority. When it was working the TV and internet service was really good - much better than TWC. Unfortunately that doesn't really matter if you don't have service.

Hope this helps anyone measuring the pros and cons of switching to Uverse!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

do what I did, create a twitter account (sooooo mad I had to do it, I hate twitter hashtag blah)

escalate to @Attcares 

That's the ONLY way to get anything done with AT&T.  

I'm doing what you're doing, only a bit more grass roots, we have a brand new development, about 200 house planned to go in here.  I'm starting to steer all new homeowners away from AT&T, it's just not worth the hassle when there's alternatives.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

On September 17, 2017, AT&T installed fiber cable to my home.  The installing tech told me that the cable would be buried within two weeks.  Today is May 24, 2018 and the cable is still above ground across two of my neighbors properties and my own. 1000' of it.  To date, it has been severed twice by lawn mowers.  I have lost service for a total of 5 days while trying to conduct a business from my home.  I have lost thousands of dollars due to this service interruption.  Still, AT&T cannot get their s**t together.  Some incompetent named Trey Joslin is supposed to be taking care of this, but his office is an epic black hole of dismal failure.  10 MONTHS to burry 1000' of cable???  The Empire State Building was completed in 13 months!!!   W-T-F?!

I have been patient for 10 months, suffering financial losses and tremendous aggravation.  I am sorry I ever listened to their sales pitch.

Now I intend to sue AT&T for a great sum of money for my "pain and suffering".  I hope this gets to the desk of their legal department so they can begin a settlement package.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.