Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
M

• 

1 Message

Tue, Sep 7, 2021 4:07 PM

Fiber availability

I have been waiting for the AT&T Fiber for at least 10 years now. Is there any link or number that I can find out Fiber installation status?

I believe AT&T can easily grab 1000 of homes of a new Fiber customer in my area.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

28.9K Messages

2 m ago

You can check their availability map. Current status is all that is available. Their plans or progress is not shared with the public.

AT&T Fiber - Coverage Map for Faster AT&T Internet (att.com)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.2K Messages

2 m ago

AT&T Fiber for at least 10 years now

Are you referring to FTTN or Fiber To The Node that was deployed from 2006 to end 2015 reaching 33 million addresses within then footprint. This was the more widely deployed service offering UVERSE IPTV service as part of triple play featuring home phone, internet, and tv service.

During this same time period ATT upgraded some areas from LEGACY DSL to ADSL2+ with best speed of 18 or less depending on copper distance from the central office (CO) or Remote Terminal (RT). 24 million addresses had this option at end of 2015. 

In 2016, as part of the government condition allowing ATT to buy DirecTv in summer 2015, ATT started offering direct fiber to the premise (FTTP aka FTTH). From 2016 to end of 2020 ATT had reached 15+ million addresses with direct fiber within 90+ markets covering 21 states. 

They have announced a 2nd (5) year FTTP build out to reach another 15 million addresses by end of 2025 with 3 million planned for 2021 and 4 million for 2022. 

As from planning to activation can be 2 years, I expect all fiber addresses scheduled during this phase has already been planned with construction already in progress or soon to be. This is local contractors deploying fiber on poles or burying orange tubing with the fiber to be pulled later. 

ATT started 2021 with about 23 million FTTN addresses, meaning 10 million of the 15 million FTTP addresses available at end of 2020 were upgraded FTTN. The rest were either new construction of apartment / condo complexes or single family subdivision with some ADSL2+ and LEGACY DSL areas also upgraded.

Which brings me to my question... does ATT currently offer internet service at your address? IF yes, what is the speed tier available?

IF ATT is the ILEC for your address, offering speed of 25 to 100 your chances of being upgraded to fiber by end of 2025 is about 50%, this is assuming 80% of that 15 million or about 2.4 million per year will be FTTN upgrades. 

If the current best speed is less than internet 25 your chances will be lower. 

The quickest and best method for ATT Fiber is relocation to where the service already exists. FYI, 25% of ATT fiber is in apartment / condo complexes.

https://www.att.com/att/multifamily-property/locator/

To find where the fiber is currently (map updated about every 6 months)

https://broadbandnow.com/

select INTERNET PROVIDERS then COVERAGE MAPS then ATT

click on the interactive map lower on the page

select FIBER from IPBB, FIBER, FIXED WIRELESS 

zoom into your state, city, neighborhoods 

Selections in RED should be known ATT Fiber addresses.

AT&T Internet offers internet service across 21 states with the greatest coverage in California, Texas, and Illinois. IPBB internet from AT&T Internet is available to an estimated 122.5 million people, making it the largest residential IPBB provider in the U.S. by coverage area.

In addition to IPBB broadband, AT&T Internet also offers fiber and fixed wireless internet service. Its fiber service is available to approximately 37.8 million people, making it the largest provider of fiber broadband in the U.S. by coverage area. Its fixed wireless service is available to approximately 8.8 million people, making it the 2nd largest provider of fixed wireless broadband in the U.S. by coverage area.

(edited)

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.