Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet

Related help: DSL support

A

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Nov 1, 2021 10:38 PM

Exterior Exposed Wire

They installed the fiber in my home however, I the cable going into the house is exposed. How do we get that fixed?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19K Messages

Il y a 7 m

Only one number to call…. 800-288-2020

Your missing the fiber NID which should be standard on all buried fiber drops.

I would guess the installer did not have any that day, has happened to me.

However the fiber in conduit up side of home is not required, came be left “exposed” the same as aerial fiber drop.

In your case, calling for a tech dispatch will need someone home, the drop going into the house to be cut from the inside (taking you out of service), pulled to the outside. Install a fiber NID then install new fiber inside wiring.

For manufacture specs…

https://tiitech.com/repository/installationsheetlibrary/92235101_506F-Series.pdf

for another viewpoint…

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/how-at-t-installs-gigapower-broadband-internet-in-a-home/

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.4K Messages

Il y a 7 m

Exposed as in may be arrested for public indecency?

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 7 m

Exposed like a 2 cent stripper using the wall as a pole.. anyone with dull pair of scissors can come up to the side of the house and cut it and keep moving without anyone knowing. If my alarm system ran through the internet, that would be to weak point to exploit. How do I go about getting this fixed?

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.4K Messages

Il y a 7 m

You talking from the conduit to the side of the house? That’s normal you want to cover it I suggest you go to Lowe’s and get something. Any thief wanting to cut your alarm could easily do it even if the conduit goes into the wall. It’s only pvc pipe 

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 7 m

Narrator: "It isn't normal."

Who do I ask to talk to at ATT to get this taken care of?

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@Arobinson392488 

That's almost a normal install. Only thing missing is a drip loop in the black wiring before entering the wall.

How do I go about getting this fixed?

That is a Kevlar wrapped direct bury AT&T Corning Fiber drop cable that really needs not further protection. 

As @Constructive indicated above if you want to fortify it further you will need to DIY it.  Please note that plastic conduit is not the answer from a security prospective.

You might want do some research on security steel or metal plates of you want to further secure the Fiber drop.

Dave

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 7 m

Every other company, when installing a cable or pipe that comes into the house, has a protective box over the entry. If you google for ATT's installations, you well see nothing but boxes that say ATT over there place where the cable comes into the house. I'm not asking for your opinion about this is normal. I have already determined it isn't. I would like to know who to talk to at ATT to get this fixed. If you have any phone numbers or email addresses that could help, I appreciate it. Thank you.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.3K Messages

Il y a 7 m

Call the support number 800-288-2020.  The normal you're talking about is buried drop to an NID, not fiber to the home. Aerial drop to an NID is exposed into the NID as is fiber to the entrance point.  So you're telling people who do or have done the work that they are wrong as to how this is installed?  Put some U-guard over it and be done with it you can get metal or poly.  A lot easier that trying to get AT&T back out to do it, but your call. 

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 7 m

I appreciate you information "My thoughts" with the yogi bear avi. Thank you.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.3K Messages

Il y a 7 m

All that accomplishes is adding a slack loop, the drop is still exposed out of the conduit to the NID.  The way I understand what the OP wants is the fiber to be completely covered, which U-guard would do.  

the cable going into the house is exposed

Also this statement

Exposed like a 2 cent stripper using the wall as a pole.. 

anyone with dull pair of scissors can come up to the side of the house and cut it

Even  @my thoughts stated the fiber can be exposed:

However the fiber in conduit up side of home is not required, came be left “exposed” the same as aerial fiber drop.

(edited)

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@my thoughts 

In southern markets a Slack NID is no longer required. The bean counters decided it saved a few $$ and time to skip the Slack NID install as the "default" install.

However customers can still request that a Slack NID be installed as a DEMARC if the tech as any on the truck. Normally the morning truck dispatches with a box of 5 Slack NIDs stocked on the truck.

This results in the "gray" J-guard tube at ground level, exposed direct bury Fiber into the Slack NID and then "white" Fiber from the Slack NID with a drip loop with staples and then a direct entry into the wall (with sealant) about 2-4 inches below the Slack NID.

Note: No tech is going to have what the OP wants stocked on the truck, regular dispatch, repair dispatch or Dispatch on Demand (DoD).

The OP is looking for the old Copper style hardened cable plate up the wall to the NID, a NID with in-side wiring terminating behind the Customer side of the NID. This no longer exists.

Dave

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.3K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@dave006 Which is why I said to get some U-guard and be done with it.  Your local electrician might even just give you that short amount.  Just don't pound it into the ground, you have no idea how deep that fiber is.  You could dig down off to the side and parallel to the fiber than cave it off.  The U-guard only has to be in the ground a couple inches.   Don't understand all the reluctance to do this, quick easy, cheap fix. 

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@dave006 

I know local practice varies among markets / regions.

For our Midwest area, slack NID for all buried fiber as allows tech dispatch for cutover jobs wthout needing to access the premise to complete ticket on install  / repair orders especially from cut drop due to digging.

Aerial installs are to have slack NID if installer needs to create a CIM helper ticket for low or no light on the install. Allows the core fiber tech to verify light level at POE without needing inside access.

One issue that seems to vary is ribbon fiber, SOP is return for fusion splice instead of mechanical splice. Wisconsin winter fiber gets brittle and can break with quick lok connectors.

edit… fiber cut over jobs are assigned 7 am to 11 pm time frame, not sure how many customers would be willing to sit all day to have tech bring fiber into home during these hours, result if fiber NID is not placed, the repair tech has to place a NID using fiber FasTec ends to inside wiring instead of premade fiber extension (25 ft, 50 ft, 75 ft) used during standard install.

(edited)

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

15.3K Messages

Il y a 7 m

Don't understand all the reluctance to do this, quick easy, cheap fix. 

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@spoom2 

@dave006 Which is why I said to get some U-guard and be done with it.  Your local electrician might even just give you that short amount. 

The issue is the OP, @Arobinson392488 does not appear to want to do any DIY. They want AT&T to install the Fiber drop as if it were an external electrical drop and use a conduit to the wall.

Don't understand all the reluctance to do this, quick easy, cheap fix. 

I am with you but that's not what the OP wants from AT&T.

Dave

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.