dtw1593's profile

• 

1 Message

Wed, Mar 2, 2022 7:27 PM

Extending Fiber Internet Service to my house

Hello,

Can anyone tell me who to contact, or how to go about submitting a request, regarding a fiber build-out?  I used the ATT availability webpage to determine that there is Fiber internet on my road 1.4mi away to the west, and 0.5mi to the east.  Of course there is a 2mi gap in service....  I would love to upgrade to fiber internet instead of cable or DSL, but cannot do so until the network is extended....  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.2K Messages

4 m ago

Besides moving to where the fiber is currently available, generally the easiest and definitely the faster method to obtain ATT residential fiber service.

You wait for an IF / WHEN moment as ATT continues their fiber expansion at 3 million location within 21 state each year till end 2025. Start of 2026 50% (30 million) will have direct fiber within hardwired footprint, the other half will not. 

Some questions can ask yourself,

…are you currently part of a development or rural to semi-rural?

… does ATT currently offer hardwired internet to the address?

… if yes, is the best speed available between 25 to 100 (VDSL FTTN) or 18 or less (ADSL2+)?

The locations most likely to receive ATT residential fiber is GREENFIELD (new construction developments of apartments, condo, single family) AND FTTN BROWNFIELD locations. 

I would estimate FTTN upgrades will be about 2 million per year with about 22 million existing will likely see 8 million of 22 million upgraded over next (4) years. 

Conclusion…. Best option is relocation to either GREENFIELD area receiving fiber or a Brownfield area that has already been upgraded. FYI at start of 2016, the year major fiber expansion began there was 33 million FTTN locations, over past 6 years 18 million addresses have received fiber with 11 million being FTTN locations. The other 7 million was new construction or ADSL2+….

THE ABOVE NUMBERS ARE MY ESTIMATES ONLY… 

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

That's a very long distance for the closest fiber to you.  I have it 300 feet from me and can't get it in one section of a neighborhood where the other sections have had it for a year.  Mentally set expectation for yourself 3-5 years minimum before they get out to you and then you won't be disappointed LOL.

Also - to my thoughts comments on FTTN high likely of expansion - so far in my experience that doesn't seem to be the deciding factor for sure.  We all have FTTN in my entire area 50-100mbps vdsl, but then just skipped right over my section.  The VSAMs are all sitting right next to each other.

(edited)

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.