Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

8 Messages

Tue, Oct 20, 2020 4:12 PM

Electric power for fiber optics

My existing coax line under ground to my house to grey att box is right below my electrical meter. My circuit breaker box is in my garage just on the other side of the wall. Does att connect to electric, or do I need an outlet outside near my existing Coax and Cat 5.?

Responses

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

a month ago

An electrical outlet is needed to power the indoor ONT. With some new installs, the ont and gateway are combined in one unit. As long as you have an outlet near where you want the gateway (modem) you should be good for an install.  

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

a month ago

Ok, I thought the ONT could be outside. I could run a new outdoor outlet right by my electrically meter and existing ATT box. Inside the ONT might have to be in my dining room.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

a month ago

The ONT is sometimes installed in the garage.  Cat5e connects the ONT to the gateway. You could schedule an install and the tech could advise how to connect everything. If you don’t like the options refuse the install. Does cat5e run into the garage near the circuit panel? Post pictures to help us advise you. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question