Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Leo22joel's profile

• 

1 Message

Wed, Aug 10, 2022 1:10 AM

Cut my main water line Charlotte NC

I don’t have or nor did I request AT&T services… recently got off work and picking my kid from daycare and a door tag from AT&T was left on my door that read “While digging in your yard we knicked you water service line” you can call 800-288-2020 to submit a claim” this was unacceptable. I’m beyond livid because this is so unprofessional and didn’t know why they were digging in my yard without my permission. My yard isn’t put back together dirt is all over and there is a visible tunnel where they dug. I have two kids who need to use restroom etc. I’am disgusted on how I was left to do the leg work of calling emailing and filing a claim when that should have been the responsibility of AT&T. I’ve called all day and night and can’t get a hold of anyone to help or even start a claim.  Please help me and my family to hold AT&T responsible. 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

2 m مضت

Most likely they were working in an easement which doesn't require permission.

I'm not sure what else you expected them to do.  They actually admitted their fault, which is unusual for these subcontractors, some who damage property and just leave.

Filing a claim is like calling your insurance company when someone runs into you.  They're going to deal with the financial side, not the actual repair.

Calling will get you a claim number and instructions on how to proceed.  But you need to call someone to repair the damage now.  You certainly don't want to wait around for AT&T to get their act together.

madmax988

Scholar

• 

516 Messages

2 m مضت

The part that's (Edited per community guidelines)ty on at&t's part is just giving out the main phone line #.  That should be unacceptable for something this important and immediate.  Since the trench is still open they are clearly still working in the area.  Did the call the 811 # before they started digging? Did they wait to get lines marked?  if not they could very well be liable to city fines as well.  Should the OP pay a plumber out of pocket to fix his pipe and then just hope they don't hit it again when they come back to finish?  Also if it's on swale/tree lawn area/before water meter it might technically be the city's property and they might fix it, in which case the contractors should've contacted the city emergency repair service as well.  Also if the line is actively leaking it's usually illegal to let it leak and waste water without contacting city to let them know.  Just because lots of contractors break these laws all the time, doesn't mean they don't exist.

But by not giving a contact person or even a contact department at&t avoids taking any really responsibility solving a problem they created.  Even in an easement there are laws.  If life was fair at&t would be not only at fault for the repair,  but also the time the homeowner wastes dealing with it, and time without water services if it's extended more than a few hours, sadly that'll never happen.

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

2 m مضت

Actually, the main 800 number is now the official path AT&T wants customers to use to file claims.

madmax988

Scholar

• 

516 Messages

2 m مضت

Yea sure att wants everything thorugh main 800 number but as a customer (or in this case someone who isn't even a customer) because that's what's best for atts bottom line.  But for everyone other than at&t the mainline feels like it was designed to make people give up, its a phone tree from he-double hockey sticks (Edited per community guidelines, I cannot belive i just had to edit that word lol), barely works to get you to the correct dept.  Every dept will be a massive call center most likely offshore, with zero accountability and zero way to ever speak to the same person twice.  If at&t cared one iota about its customers or society they would burn the mainline to the ground and start over. Lol

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

2 m مضت

No, apparently the process got changed where people who were contacting Sedgwick have been being routed back to the main AT&T number anyway. 

I guess it makes sense (not something I say very often about anything AT&T does) because of all of the horror stories when Sedgwick would just ghost customers trying to file a claim.  Presuming this new system is working, then it's almost like AT&T is actually trying.   Ok, ok, it's definitely time for me to go to sleep cuz I'm talking crazytalk.  😁

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.