dbs4242's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, May 16, 2016 11:21 PM

AT&T Upgrade and Disconnection issues

I am writing about possibly the worst experience I have ever had with a TV, cable and internet provider, and frankly any service provider, ever.  Over the last three weeks, I have had my service cancelled by AT&T twice, and been without service for days, missed more than a day of work during two ineffective service calls and spent countless additional hours on the phone with AT&T. 

Needless to say this has been extremely frustrating, and very likely will result in my switching from AT&T.  Here's a summary of the past three weeks:

• On April 29, 2016, I called AT&T in response to an advertisement I received in the mail to upgrade your "U-verse High Speed Internet 300bps" service. She set it up and said she would call me back that afternoon at my work number to confirm set up.  Instead, she left a voicemail on my phone at home that a technician would be coming out to the house on May 2, 2016 in the morning to upgrade the service. While I would have preferred the opportunity to confirm the appointment, I moved my schedule around to be at home on the morning of May 2nd.
  • On May 2, 2016, we noticed that our service had been cut off.  I was not aware that this would happen.  Later that morning a technician showed up to install the new service.  About 30-40 minutes into the installation he reported that he could not install the service because of an exterior problem at the telephone pole, which he described simply as  "a light not being on" in the box on the telephone pole.  He indicated that somewhere up the line, there was a connection problem, and the service was not reaching the telephone pole behind my house.  He informed me that he could not install the new service and he put a ticket in to fix the technical problem. 
  • However, now I had no service because AT&T had disconnected my old service.  I spent hours on the phone from my house and later on that afternoon at work, trying to get my old service reconnected.  The technician explained that AT&T should be able to restore it because nothing had been disconnected and I still had all of my old equipment. That proved not to be the case on May 2.  After several calls and promises that someone would call me back, no service was restored.  
  • I did receive notification that a technician would be showing up the afternoon of May 3.  Again not convenient, but we needed phone, internet and TV service, so we accepted that time.
  • On May 3, 2016, the technician showed up, and encountered the same issue. The service was not ready to be installed.  Why AT&T would send another technician out to the house without confirming that the service could be installed is beyond me.  In any event, on May 3, I was persistent.  I stayed on the phone with AT&T for probably over 2 hours and found someone who was able to restart my old service without a technician visiting my house. 
  • Between May 3, 2016 and May 13, 2016, I had a number of calls with AT&T personnel, asking them what had happened, what was I paying for my service (since the notification for the restored service was more than I had been paying previously), when would the new service be ready to be installed. No one really had any answers.  It was escalated somehow and someone called me back twice, but when I told them what happened and asked the questions, they had no answers and told me they would have to get back to me.
  • This morning, May 16, our service again stops working. I spend another several hours on the phone to discover the following:
    • Someone at AT&T had set up an appointment to upgrade my service on May 17. Except that I was never informed of it.  So, I could not confirm whether I wanted the upgraded service or not.
    • No one had told me until my calls this afternoon that AT&T cannot upgrade the service without disconnecting the old service. And, absurdly, the old service must be disconnected before the new service is installed and confirmed.  Had I known that, I may have chosen not to have the upgaraded service installed at all, but I did not have that opportunity because I was never informed that the upgraded service was going to be installed on May 17, and that AT&T would cancel my phone, internet and TV a full 24 hours before coming to install the new service.
    • Moreover, no one could tell me whether the problem that prevented the upgrade from being installed on May 2 or May 3 was fixed. In other words,  no one could guarantee, if I waited out the lack of service until a technician came on May 17, that the service would work.  There was no accessible record of the problem in AT&T's upstream infrastructure being fixed.  Needless to say, after my prior experiences I was unwilling to take that risk and I asked for my old service to be restored.
    • Unlike on May 3, 2016, however, AT&T is having a problem reconnecting my old service, and as I write this after having spent several hours on the phone with AT&T today, I do not have phone, internet or televisions service, and have no idea when they will be restored.  While incredibly inconvenient because I cannot work at home and will not get to see my family for dinner tonight, I am more concerned about the safety issue of not having a working phone.  

I will note that for the most part the AT&T personnel I spoke to were polite and tried their best even in the face of some substantial frustration expressed by me.  One person did hang up on me, and the person today from the customer retention department, who I would have expected to stay on and help me, was not helpful, and dumped me off on the technical group where I had started.  On the other hand, customer service providers are segmented and have almost no ability to provide an explanation of what the issues or problems are, much less a solution.  

In sum, my experience with AT&T has been horrible. I have no service, and likely will never have an explanation of what happened or how AT&T will make it right.  I have no confidence that AT&T can provide me with service that is comparable to its competitors, which is why I sought the upgrade in the first instance.  Should someone at AT&T find a way to explain what happened and what AT&T will do to provide me service that is comparable to what its competitors are providing (i.e., the upgrade) in a manner that will not further waste my or my family's time, I am open to hearing it.  Otherwise, I will be looking elsewhere.  

ham3843

Scholar

• 

421 Messages

6 y ago

@dbs4242

Wow another OUTRAGEOUS and inexcusiable horror story with AT&T customer NO service!

Your situation is complicated and a complete disaster.

PM me and I will provide you with an executive office contact at AT&T Corporate HQ in Dallas, TX

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Thanks, although I am not sure how that will help.  Still no service.  For a communications company, you would think that AT&T would have systems in place to allow its own people to comunicate with each other, resolve issues effectively and allow a customer to reach them. Instead, I have to call the main number, tell my story for the 20th time, let someone read my account notes, which are not complete as they are spread over several accounts b/c AT&T has closed and opened several accounts while trying to do this upgrade.  I am totally hostage to AT&T because it disconnected my phone.  So, I cannot switch to Comcast or any other provider because they cannot port over my phone number until my service has been re-stablished.  It may be complicated, but it should not be. AT&T can flip a switch to turn my service off.  Should be able to flip it back to turn it on.  

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.