Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
LLaskoe's profile

4 Messages

Monday, October 16th, 2023 7:13 PM

ATT landline upgrade to fiber and hardline loss

Hello, I am writing to you to try to understand a message my mother received regarding a fiber upgrade to her current phone service. The following message was sent to my mom:

"AT&T has sent another letter saying if I don't let them install the fiber upgrade on my phone, I will lose internet service Nov. 3, 2023! I almost had them do it a while ago but when they said I'd lose my hard-wired line in the bedroom I canceled it."

Due to medical reasons my mother needs to maintain a hard line to her home. Can you address the loss of a hard line to her home with the fiber upgrade for the internet service?

Thank you,

Lynn Laskoe

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

7 months ago

AT&T is trying to phase out services that require a copper pair to the home, including POTS, ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2.  The Passive Optical Fiber is cheaper for them to maintain and operate and theoretically more reliable.

When you say "hard line to the home", what exactly are the requirements?

• A line that doesn't require a cell phone (expense, charging, etc.)?
  • A line that works even when there is a power failure in the home?
  • A line that works with cordless phones, answering machines, etc.?
  • A line that can be used by automated equipment, e.g. Medical Alarm?
  • A line that isn't affected by cellular issues (distance to tower, congestion, call quality)?
  • Something else?

AT&T's primary solution for a home phone for a Fiber Internet customer would be "AT&T Voice" which is technically a VOIP system that gives you an analog phone jack on the back of the AT&T Internet Gateway (which can be run to house wiring, if required).   If the home lost power, the AT&T Gateway (and separate ONT if used) would require a UPS to provide power to maintain phone service.  Some automated equipment might struggle with a VOIP service, while others would work fine.

The date given is likely not a hard deadline, but a line in the sand for the sales people to try to accomplish.  At worst, it's probably a date after which they wish to no longer guarantee repairs of the equipment serving the home, i.e.  after that date, if something necessary breaks and can't be replaced, service would be terminated.

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

7 months ago

Take the letter as a warning…

Where ATT has invested upgrading areas to fiber, they will no longer support maintenance, repairs or installations on older copper wiring.

The letter, from my perspective, is giving a date that repairs will no longer be made.

Any issue with phone / internet service resulting in a call to ATT will be a forced migration to fiber at ATat convenience based upon open dates for installation.

The letter is offering the customer a chance to schedule an upgrade of service at their convenience instead of waiting till have a service issue. 

Options…

* upgrade now by calling and scheduling 

* do nothing knowing in the future might be without service for several days after problem reported, example high winds / storm damages the copper drop from falling limbs, tree, or pulls away from house. Squirrels or animal damage such as birds or mice, snake, line is cut, etc will not be repaired / replaced. Then wait for ATT to have an open appointment available.

* change your service to another provider such as cable or cell tower.

Does she have internet as well as phone service?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

7 months ago

She will still have a hard wired phone. It will be delivered by voip connected to the gateway. 

She will lose her traditional copper wired phone at some point so get the upgrade to fiber now before she loses all services. Or switch to another provider. 

If you see any techs in the area, ask them about the upgrade and what phone choices she will have. 

4 Messages

7 months ago

She has Internet as well as land line and cell service. Her cell is thru T-mobile though not AT&T.

4 Messages

7 months ago

So the concern for her is that she wants to have the phone line even if there is a power failure. Is that possible with the upgrade to fiber optic?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

7 months ago

To assure that her phone doesn’t go down during a power outage she would need a Battery Backup (BBU) to power the gateway.

If she has a cellphone and is proficient in using it, she should be OK during a power outage.  I have VOIP and if we anticipate storms (with possible power outages), I make sure my cellphone is fully charged.

(edited)

4 Messages

7 months ago

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.