Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
memmert12's profile

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 7:29 PM

AT&T installer said they won't bury a cable and would only install an overhead line

I had AT&T fiber ordered but when the tech showed up he said AT&T no longer buries the cable and that he could only install an overhead line which was not an option according to neighborhood codes. 

Technically there's no reason the line couldn't be buried.   I have a Comcast line from the pole behind out house, under an alley and buried in the backyard to the house.

The installer said the only other option would be we install our own underground conduit that they could pull the wire through.  I'm considering this but it would be significant project and I don't know where to find any details on conduit size, bend size, where to terminate at the pole, how to terminate at the house, etc...

Is AT&T not burying the line a thing in general currently?  Other neighbors have had AT&T bury the cable but that was some time ago.  I've found nothing in the forum that talks about this.

If we do need to do this, are there requirements published by AT&T for installing your own conduit?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

5 months ago

If your in an area of country (some parts of California and Texas that I am aware of) that requires underground wiring to be placed in conduit, you need to provide the conduit ideally with pull string.

Electrical contractor should be familiar with requirements.

In an overview, the tech would run aerial drop down the pole, install a NID about 4 feet above ground on pole, conduit down pole to 90 degree bend, not sharp turn… conduit underground, 90 decree bend at home, conduit up outside 3 to four feet then another NID installed on side of home. Generally have two clips attaching conduit going from NID to ground level. 

an older video online…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNOFoM-Uqw

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

5 months ago

If your outside connection is from a pole, aerial… the expectation of the tech is to hang aerial drop to house.

Burying a line cost extra money as ATT has to pay contractor to bury and the tech to install. They prefer just to pay the tech.

Can you request burial, yes but the expectation is you’re agreeing to pay the contractor charge which could be a few hundred $ to thousand $+… if boring under driveway, sidewalk, etc is required added to be bill.

ATT pays for burial when all services are underground, the fiber is coming from a ground pedestal or hand hole.

If from pole, expect pole to house service. 

2 Messages

4 months ago

Thanks for the information.  I will contact electrical contractors for this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.