For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
F

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, June 1st, 2021 8:59 PM

AT&T fiber install question

Hey everyone, 

So we are new to Fiber as a whole. I signed up today and was under the impression that someone would be coming to handle the install. But now it's telling me to be on the lookout for the self installation kit. My house is 7 years old and fiber is relatively new in the area. I'm unsure if I even have fiber ran to the house, though the website says it's available at my address. What happens if it's not run to my home already? If there an ATT install person they can send out and what would the cost be?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

3 years ago

If self-install was an option, the computer saw that fiber had been installed at an earlier date.

If you are unable to accomplish a self-install, a tech can be sent.  There is a $99 install fee...same as if there had never been fiber.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

What speed tier did you order?

Direct fiber would be 1000, 500 or 300 FTTP or Fiber To The Premise installed from 2016 to current reaching 15 million addresses within 90+ markets in 21 states.

If 100 or less (75, 50, 25) would be indirect fiber FTTN installed in neighborhoods from 2006 to end 2015. This service reached 33 million addresses by end of 2015. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm in the same boat as OP. How do I actually get a technician to come to my place? I've had no luck with the customer support number.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@my thoughts I ordered fiber 500. I already have this box on the side of my home. I’m just not sure what I’m going to need to do. (I haven’t gotten the self install kit yet but I’m being proactive lol) 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Forcefields220 

That picture indicates you already have a Slack NID and Fiber into your home. Now you just need to find out where it is inside your home and it should end in a small white box called an ONT.

You should be looking for a small white box hanging on the wall down near and electrical outlet. It may also be in a network panel in a closest.  I will include a picture below:

The White plug with the green connector is the Fiber drop and the black cable on the right is the Ethernet cable to connect to your new Modem (AT&T calls them Gateways).

The self-install should include all cables you need to connect your Gateway. However it will not include a power cord and transformer for ONT (small white box) if the previous owner or tenant removed it instead of leaving it.

Only in more recent installs would you have an AT& Fiber wall plate as shown below:

See what you can find and let us know. As @skeeterintexas indicated you would not have been offered a self-install if the basics were not already installed and you picture of the Slack NID on the side of your house points to a self-install.

Dave

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

@landonwood81 

I'm in the same boat as OP. How do I actually get a technician to come to my place? I've had no luck with the customer support number.

Has your self-install arrived and did your order Fiber 300, 500 or 1000 as those are now the speed choices?

Normally a tech is only dispatched if your self-install fails. AKA a failed Customer Self-install. If you really want a tech there then you will need to be prepared to pay $99 if there are no AT&T issues and you just "want" a tech to do a self-install.

Just call 1-800-288-2020 and request a dispatch on demand (DoD).

Dave

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@dave006 Thank you! when I get home I'll be going up in my attic to look for this. I know it doesn't exist inside the home in the living spaces and I don't have a basement bc Louisiana, so if it exists, it's in my attic. I'll keep you updated.

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Forcefields220 

It is doubtful that it is in the attic. Most likely place would be a closet. What is directly on the the other side of the wall where you shared a picture of the Slack NID?

You should be able to trace the "Black" fiber cable that exits from the Slack NID. on the lower right side of the box it enters the wall with a white cable to comes from lower down the wall. What is located down there?

For reference the Fiber drop from AT&T enters the box on the bottom left side of the Slack NID and once the black protective cover is removed ii is just a white jacketed cable with the very thin fiber. The fiber drop connects to your interior drop at the green coupler right in the center of the picture.

Dave

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@dave006 The attached garage is on the other side of the wall from the box, but I'll try and trace the wires. 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

That's where the ONT may be installed near an electrical outlet. How long have you lived in the house? I know you mentioned it was about 7 years old.

It is possible the previous owner / tenet took it with them and in that case your self-install will fail and you would need a tech visit.

Again did you ever get your Self-install kit as that will indicate what AT&T Gateway you got and what we are looking for it to connect to? 

The new BGW320-50x units are primary setup to connect to the AT&T labeled wall plate with a fiber jumper cable included in the self-install  kit.

The other option is to look closely at all your wall outlets to see if you have a new AT&T Fiber wall plate. They have been around since last summer.

Dave

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.