For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
C

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 13th, 2021 1:08 AM

AT&T called to confirm appointment to replace copper with fiber

Got a voicemail from an AT&T rep (my phone identified it as an AT&T number) saying they scheduled technicians for Dec 3rd to switch out copper wiring for fiber.  I have made no changes to AT&T internet account, nor did I ask for an upgrade. 

I live in a separate unit from the main house; there are 2 AT&T internet accounts - mine and the property owner - at this property.  I asked them (the owner) if they knew anything about this or if they also had an appointment scheduled and she did not know what I was talking about and said she hasn't heard from anyone at AT&T about wiring changes.

Is this legitimate?  Or was this just an attempt at an up-sell?  I've been here for 4+ years and not had any issues.  Thx!

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 years ago

Forced Fiber Migration….

In areas where fiber has been deployed, the copper is no longer being supported….

If you call for any issue including Wi-Fi connection to devices, intermittent loss of service, equipment replacement, or to lower your billing … will be scheduled for the upgrade to fiber.

Additionally know that direct mailings are occurring asking customers to schedule their upgrade instead of waiting for a problem to develop.

Have not heard of direct calling, but considering the mailings it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Your account number should stay the same, no installation charge, if forced your speed tier would also remain the same, if have internet 6 (as an example) would not be upgraded to 300 unless you scheduled to have different speed tier which would change monthly billing.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

@my thoughts Thank you so much for the information; your explanation is very helpful!

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

UPDATE:  Service rep called again yesterday; I explained that I did not ordere any changes and asked where this service request was coming from.  He said it would not affect my account, just that techs would be in the area on 12/3 and it was better for them to go ahead and change the copper to fiber, so that when I DID want to upgrade or if there were any service issues, this part would already be done.  I said the property owner was not aware of any work scheduled and we would need her permission if there were physical changes on the property.  He said it really didn't require much, as the copper and the fiber come into the property the same way (?).

Today, my email has my newest bill - and it's about $10 higher than usual; there is also an email to review my AT&T order for the changes I made!!! I called...account services and spoke to a rep who said yes, they will be out on 12/3 to complete the upgrade I ordered. I relayed the info from the service guy - she said not only was it not appropriate for him to surreptitiously upgrade my service without making me aware, but that my service is "U-Verse" not copper anyway.  Does that make sense to anyone?!

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 years ago

$10 higher would be correct… all new and upgraded services have $10 equipment fee (required).

Depending on when you established service the fee was either waived or included on some pricing plans from 2016 to 2019 that I remember. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.