Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
M

• 

10 Messages

Wed, Aug 11, 2021 4:14 AM

Alt Optic Network Modem Question

Got fiber installed today, tech said that a 320 modem would not work because I was on an "Alt Optic" network... he said the main backbone of the network was copper in my area. He said I needed a 210 with a standalone ONT that was made to receive the light from the Alt Optic network (the ONT actually says "Alt Optic"). Is this true or just a way to avoid using a 320 modem?

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.1K Messages

2 m ago

You have a direct fiber install with the white 010 ONT, correct?

Your statement of main backbone of the network being copper suggests FTTN or Fiber To The Node network with speed tiers of 100/20, 75/20, 50/10, 45/6, 25/5, 25/2. 

FOR FTTN the 210 gateway is the latest available.

If your direct fiber with internet 300, 500 or 1000 then depends on what inventory is available for the tech to use. There are reported shortage of 320s. And the 320 is the only gateway that can be used for XPON FIBER, thus as a GPON FIBER install the tech may have wished to save limited stock for XPON install, especially if have an XPON install later same day.

Another possibility is your a GPON install and the tech did not have GPON SFP available... For GPON the SFP is GREEN while XPON SFP is RED.

If the needed SFP is not on the techs truck, then no choice but to use the 010 ONT with 210 gateway, unless willing to reschedule for a future date pushing your installation back.

Note that if the facilities are XPON and tech does not have RED SFP for 320 gateway the only option is to reschedule the appointment. 

Another NOTE found on researching ALT OPTIC...

Are in the the Bell South area, maybe around Atlanta?

Based upon a 3 year old post ALT OPTIC ONT would be used for older FTTC or IFITL locations where the color (wavelength) of the fiber light is different from todays standard wavelength. 

To my knowledge FTTC was only used in the Bell South 9 state area and most seemed to be in Georgia.

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

I'm on a Bell South network in Florida with the white ONT says "ALT OPTIC". I have Fiber 300 service (not U-Verse). The tech mentioned the different color fiber light. The installation is direct fiber, I helped install the line from the street to the ONT. I had a 320 modem ready to install and so did the tech but he checked with the tech office before finalizing the install and they said that an ALT OPTIC ONT was required which is not the ONT built into the 320.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.5K Messages

2 m ago

Someone is confusing you @mr_x 

The BGW320 supports 3 types of Optical transceivers that plug into an SFP+ cage (bottom slot on the back of the BGW320. When using on of the 3 types of SFP cards the BGW320 is also the ONT.

There are 3 different types of Optical transceivers use with the BGW320s:  Regular, Alternate, and XGS-PON. You would need an Alternate optical transceiver (ALT-OPTIC) to replace the ALT-OPTEC 010 external ONT.

So it sounds like the tech did not have an ALT-OPTC SFP transeiver on the truck is the first guess.

How far did you guys pull the fiber: just to the existing ONT or to a wall near where the AT&T Gateway was to be installed?

The tech still could have physically used the new BGW320 with the existing or even a new 010 ONT (replacement).

The BGW320 is capable of working as only a Gateway when using an external ONT by using top Ethernet port on the back of the BGW320 marked with a red square around the port. However policy states that the tech must install and AT&T branded wall plate and directly run fiber to the SPF port in the back of the BGW320.

Note: In an Alt Optics area the light is not a different color but uses different frequencies vs the Regular and the XGS-PON options.

Dave

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

^best explanation I have heard.....this was a new install. The 010 was installed 2 feet away from the 210 and there is many extra feet of fiber available to future changes.

Where would I buy a ALT-OPTC SFP transeiver? I own a 320 that I was trying to use with this install.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.5K Messages

2 m ago

Where would I buy a ALT-OPTC SFP transeiver? I own a 320 that I was trying to use with this install.

It would not be worth it as the tech has to authorize the ONT in the BGW320. So even if you get your hands on the correct module you can't self-enable the BGW320.

The techs used to have to use an iPad but now they have the function on their corporate iPhone to enable the ONT function on the BGW320.

Sorry for the bad news.

Dave

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.