Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
runanbond's profile

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 19th, 2023 3:41 PM

Advice for AT&T Fiber Install

Scheduled AT&T to come out to new house to install “internet 1000” fiber in a few weeks. Looking for guidance on how to insure the best install.

Builder installed conduit running from exterior wall across basement to low voltage box. Should fiber run full length to low voltage box or just to exterior wall and CAT6 through conduit?

Will AT&T technician be able to put modem in true bridge mode and disable wifi? I just want a straightforward modem to add my own network gear.

Anything I have not considered?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

1 year ago

Normally the installer will install a BGW320 Gateway, which has the ONT inside of it, and uses a SFP+ media converter to convert the light on the fiber to electrical impulses into the Gateway.  You can put the Gateway in IP Passthrough mode, which is pretty close to bridge mode, but it is still a routing hop and it maintains a connection table.  You can turn the Gateway's Wi-Fi off.  The installer may or may not know how to do either of these for you, but it's not complicated.

Does that conduit have a pull string?  Does it have large radius bends?  Those will be required to pull fiber through it.  Otherwise, you'll have to install the Gateway at the fiber ingress and pull Ethernet through the conduit to your equipment (which is fine, as long as the environmental conditions are acceptable for the Gateway, and you have power for it there).

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.