flamingo44's profile

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Mar 2, 2022 9:38 PM

5Gbps XGS-PON still not installed after a month

(I'm in the Austin, TX market)

I jumped on the 5Gbps train the moment it became available at the end of January. An installer has come out twice, only to say he can't finish the job because of "engineering issues" -- saying the fiber didn't have the right light, presumably the XGS-PON signal in my neighborhood. The confusing part is this service was put online and available to me and all my neighbors back at the launch in January.

Right now we have been getting a phonecall from someone at AT&T once a week saying they're waiting on a permit. For what, I don't know. I've seen people posting here and on DSLReports on other occasions where AT&T "needed a permit", and they simply killed their order and restarted it and things got resolved right away...

Why would the service be made available if it's not actually available? I'm assuming some build-out is not complete, but maybe something is wrong with my account. Anyone else have experience with ordering the new tiers of XGS-PON service (2.5Gbps/5Gbps)? I have seen very few posts online of anyone with a successful install so far and it's been a month.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

4 m ago

Since you're on DSLR you should have seen quite a few with the hypergig service.  Or are you talking Austin specifically?

I wonder if this is just another example of the horrible record keeping process that AT&T has suffered with for decades?  Marketing says "Sign 'em up!" and engineering says "What?  We told you we weren't ready".

• 

3 Messages

4 m ago

Sorry, yeah, I mean in my region. I've seen a lot of people get their installs in other regions where it's just a swap of the SFP+ module in the newer gateway.

You know, in recent years I've become kind of an AT&T simp. They have actually good customer service in my experience (as in, training and management of CSRs and active followup) and they've made a lot of good decisions with the national fiber rollout. I've had no trouble with my 1Gbps service for all these years and I'm impressed with AT&Ts early native IPv6 rollout. But I imagine there's just no escaping the giant-legacy-telecom aspect and you get stuff like this occasionally.

Honestly deep down I hope some rep jumps in here and takes a look just to double check that there really is a needed permit and not that my account/install is in disarray.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

4 m ago

Hope springs eternal.....for you.  Me, I'm not counting on it.  🙄

If it turns out that my cynicism is right then maybe you should jump to the top of the ladder.

Maybe the best way to settle this is to fill out the form HERE.

Ignore the stated purpose on the form.  This will be responded to within 24 hrs by someone from the Executive Care team at AT&T and they can get someone who actually knows something to look at it.  Once you submit, make sure you're ready to get a call from a number that isn't familiar.  If you miss it your chances of calling back and getting a successful result goes down.

Good luck!

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.1K Messages

4 m ago

The most likely would be no XGPON splitter has been installed as operates at a different light frequency than GPON…. 

Another possibility is light quality… XGPON has a greater signal drop, thus light level needs to be higher than what is acceptable for GPON.

https://potsandpansbyccg.com/2021/04/08/xgs-pon-is-finally-here/

The XGS-PON standard provides a lot more bandwidth than GPON. The industry standard GPON technology delivers 2.4 Gbps download and 1 Gbps upload speed to a group of customers – most often configured at 32 passings. XGS-PON technology delivers 10 Gbps downstream and 2.5 Gbps upstream to the same group of customers—a big step up in bandwidth.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/GPON-and-XG-PON-wavelength-allocation-The-main-components-of-the-XG-PON1-network_fig4_235686309

ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

192K Messages

4 m ago

We're here to help see what happened with your install @flamingo44 , In order for us to continue helping you with your account specific inquiry. We will be inviting you to a DM.

Please check your Direct Message Inbox (it’s the chat icon next to the bell icon in the upper right corner of the Forums)

Charles, AT&T Community Forums

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

As an update, no progress has been made. I keep getting "update" voicemails saying they have no update. It's now been 2 months since initial order and the new speed tiers are still advertised for my neighborhood.

I did get a contact via the forum but they just repeated the same info to me (there's an "outside issue").

Oh well, I guess

• 

1 Message

3 m ago

I have the same exact issue in Detroit. I upgraded to the 2G package and a tech came out on March 7 but couldn’t complete the installation stating that there was an issue in getting signal in the phone room when the 1G package was working perfectly fine. I got a call from the AT&T executive care team after i submitted a complaint and all I could get after that is a call once a week saying that AT&T is working on the issue. I’ve been without Internet since March 7! I really like AT&T’s fiber Internet and hope to keep it but this is getting ridiculous. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.