Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Cosmonoid's profile

• 

3 Messages

Friday, October 21st, 2022 6:04 PM

Closed

Xfinity

Why won't AT&T gateways don't work with Comcast's Xfinity service. I've tried to connect the X1 boxes to ethernet and none of the internet apps worked like they did, seamlessly, with the supplied X1 Gateway/WiFi router. I've even tried the Flex Box. And while it connects to the network I get no access to Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc. Am I the only one who is experiencing this? Am I a niche case? Hopefully someone can clear this issue up for me.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

1 year ago

AT&T gateways are proprietary to AT&T network.  Why would you think it would work with xfinity? Get an xfinity modem 🤦‍♂️

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

I switched from Xfinity because ATT had better speeds at the right prices when compared to Xfinity's service offerings at the time. I loved the X1 platform. It had smart tv features like direct access to all the popular streaming services that I watch. I also had the Xfinity internet plan as well. When I switched to ATT none of the smart tv features worked afterwards. I learned the hard way that all the X1 apps need internet. Not only internet connectivity BUT also Comcast's proprietary router modem and a subscription to one of their internet plans. I was so surprised because I had thought that if I had internet service with another company the internet-based apps on the X1 boxes would work just the same. Well, I was very wrong and annoyed and angry and most of all disappointed. So it was not because of some gateway issue. It's consumer hostile in my opinion. I know they need to make money but this is at the cost of the consumer who in the end has to just deal with it. I solved the problem by getting an Amazon Fire TV Cube that bypasses the need for Comcast's internet plans. The Fire Cube is a godsend because it integrates so well with the X1 box. I still have cable tv through Comcast but I wish there were more options and hence competition in my area. This would be best for the consumer.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

8 months ago

And how is this an AT&T issue? 🤦‍♂️

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Did you not read my response?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

4 months ago

Comcast allows customer's to use their own modem and routers instead of their proprietary gateways. You don't need to use their gateways to access the internet, only their service. I use my own modem and router with Comcast (Xfinity) that has been approved for use on their service, and I have zero issues. I also don't have to pay a monthly rental fee for the gateway because I don't have one. AT&T gateways won't work on Comcast because of their proprietary nature and the opposite is true as well. Comcast gateways won't work on AT&T's network

AT&T does not allow you to use another gateway to use their service. You have to use their own proprietary gateway to access the internet. Once connected, you can use any device, AppleTV, Roku, tv apps to stream.

I don't understand your post.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

4 months ago

Year old conversation?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

4 months ago

Oops. Missed that. Seems a bit trolling to me.

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

4 months ago

@Cosmonoid 

AT&T has made their Gateways only compatible with their service. Others like Comcast/Xfinity allow you to use your own compatible one if preferred.

Posting about every 4 months does not change how this works. Time to accept reality.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

4 months ago

The technology between AT&T and Comcast/Infinity is completely different.  The Gateways are not at all compatible.  It's like saying "why can't I install a windows program on my Android phone?"

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

Closing this thread. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.