Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mpc451's profile

2 Messages

Sunday, May 19th, 2024 10:23 PM

Will AT&T Wifi Extender Imrpove Guest Wifi?

I created guest wifi (with separate SSID/pw) for guests who stay in our garage apartment but I'd like to improve the signal strength there. Will an AT&T wifi extender help that? I have BGW320-505 router and fiber.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

Will an AT&T wifi extender help that? I have BGW320-505 router and fiber.

Maybe depending on where your BGW320 is installed and if you have an Ethernet cable that runs to the Garage Apt. If you don't have an Ethernet connection for the Extender than you many need multiple Extenders to reach the Garage Apt and provide a usable experience.

Dave

2 Messages

1 month ago

Thanks for the input. I should probably clarify, I'm not really that concerned about the extender's ability to reach the apartment -- I'm fairly certainly it will -- but I'm more interested in how to extend the GUEST WIFI signal rather than just the main/primary signal. As I've been reading, it looks like I may run into a problem with the band -- if the guest wifi signal only consists of a 2.4Ghz signal (rather than both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands) then extenders may not do what I need them to. I want my guests to only access the guest wifi so I can keep my primary separate.

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

1 month ago

Then you may want to look into cheap extender that only does 2.4Ghz.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-External-Antennas-TL-WA855RE/dp/B0195Y0A42

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

1 month ago

Every one of these extenders has ended up in my junk box. 

Buy something that is well regarded.  The newer the standard, the further into the future it will serve. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

1 month ago

@mpc451  You can change the name of the Guest Network (which is 2.4GHz) to something else and give it its own password that is totally separate from your primary. Point your guests devices to that network. That should isolate the Guest Network from your primary network. If the signal is still not reliable enough, then run an ethernet cable out there and wire an extender. Ideally, if that guest apartment is used a lot then you might want to invest in a mesh WiFi system, run ethernet to the garage, and hard wire the satellite and then point your guests to the renamed Guest Network. That should give you probably the strongest and most reliable signal for the garage.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.