Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
E

• 

5 Messages

Monday, May 18th, 2020 2:23 AM

Wifi 6 3rd Party Router giving slower results than AT&T Router?

Hi, all, I have a mess of smart home equipment and with the pandemic plus my son being home, my wifi has noticeably slowed down (from getting regularly 2-300 mpbs to around 120-150 usually), plus have had trouble with my AT&T router reaching the back corners of my house. I wanted to solve for these issues - it is ridiculous that I'm paying for a 1GB fiber plan and getting 10% of that. So, I bought a Wifi 6 Mesh router - Netgear Orbi AX6000 to be exact. It's supposed to be screaming fast, and was $$$ expensive. I have a Pace 5268 Router/Modem combination from AT&T, and the nice gentleman on the support line helped me put it in "bridge mode" so that it is functioning only as a modem. The wifi light is no longer on, and the old wifi network is no longer functioning. I plugged everything in, and my new wifi network is now SLOWER. Here are the tests I've run. The ATT Smart Home manager says I'm still gettting 900-something mbps coming into my gateway. When I plug a high-powered desktop system into the ATT Modem via ethernet cable, I get 525 mbps down, and 76 mbps up. I ran this several times, it was consistent. When I plug a high-powered desktop system via ethernet into the Netgear router, my performance goes down to somewhere between 175-350 mbps down and 75 up. When I use a variety of Wifi devices (tried iPhone, iPad and souped up Macbook Pro, same results) right next to the router, I get about 110 mbps down and 60 mbps up. When I use a wifi device next to the mesh satellite, my results go down to about 80 mbps down and 40 mbps up. SO, it appears that the modem is somehow cutting my bandwidth in half before it even passes to the router. Is there some setting I could be missing on the modem that would increase this ratio? Then, you've got the router cutting my bandwidth in half again, which also isn't supposed to happen. And, WiFi cutting bandwidth in half yet again. There's got to be some way to solve for this, because a new AT&T modem/router did not solve it - I got one a few months ago, and my bandwidth still got worse. Is there a 3rd party router I would have better luck with than the one I purchased, because Wifi 6 is so new?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

Interesting. I have a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi system as well (a wired satellite and a plugin satellite) and I get almost the same speeds with WiFi than I do with my wired devices. We typically have about 13 devices connected via WiFi at any one time. However, I don't use the "stuff" that my ISP provides and prefer to use my own modem and router. There are a couple of settings that can be adjusted under the Advanced Router Settings that may help.

• 

5 Messages

Do tell - I've been hoping I could replace the AT&T modem with something of my own, but they tell me no, and I cannot find anything on Best Buy or Amazon that claims to work with AT&T.

• 

5 Messages

Also, any help with settings would be appreciated!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

I do not have AT&T as my ISP. I have Comcast and use a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the Orbi Mesh WiFi as my router. The satellite is hard wired to the main router for the back channel but the plug in satellite cannot be hard wired so I use WiFi for the back channel.

Enable Implicit Beam Forming and MU-MIMO.

Change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2305 and Preamble Mode to Short Preamble.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

WiFi 6 isn’t operating yet. factory reset the gateway. Setup the mesh router as an access point.

For a wired speedtest, use the speedtest.net app.

Any wireless router will work with your gateway. No true bridge mode. DMZplus in your gateway.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@browndk26 You can't place the AT&T supplied gateways in bridge mode? Didn't know that. That's no bueno.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

How did you finally solve this? With what setup did you go?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.