1 Message

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 2:58 AM

When will AT&T provide WiFi 6 routers?

Frequent need to reset existing router

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

Hmm AT&T offers the BGW320-500 (Humax) and the BGW320-505 (Nokia) both offer Wi-Fi 6 aka 802.11ax with a 4x4 configuration.

Dave

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

3 years ago

I have no idea why "Frequent need to reset existing router" correlates to needing a Wi-Fi6 router.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Jeffriedave How many WiFi-6 devices do you have? I agree with @JefferMC .

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

Ignoring your "reasoning" for the moment and just addressing your question, the answer is that they provide a WiFi 6 router right now, the BGW320.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

It is now December 2021. I have the Humax BGW320-500, which according to Humax includes a tri-band router. 
I was told by my install technician that I would have wifi 6. 

I see this device here

and here

both places advertising wifi 6

I was assured again through chat by technical support and a "supervisor" that AT&T does not offer a wifi 6 router at all.

How is this possible? How do you take something manufactured to include specific hardware and then claim that it does not include such hardware?

Why can't I enable wifi 6 on this router?

Why are you advertising wifi 6 and telling customers that it's not available?

Why are you selling devices capable of wifi 6 and telling customers that it's not?

Someone clear this shady crap up, please.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

@dave006 just 2 days ago I read an article, where they described about the Wi-Fi-7 and it can support upto 30Gbps and I'm shocked that we are still not using Wi-Fi 6 router....

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

@Bhutta_akheera sadly, we ARE using wifi 6 routers and AT&T has done something muddy to them. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

2 years ago

The BGW 320 is a Wi-Fi6 router, which means that it supports 802.11ax.  Tri band is not equivalent to Wi-Fi6 or 802.11ax.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

@nclack   You're working under two misconceptions.  One of which @JefferMC just cleared up.  If you'd like more detailed info on this, check out this link.

I was assured again through chat by technical support and a "supervisor" that AT&T does not offer a wifi 6 router at all.

The second is that you can believe what an AT&T "technical" support rep or their supervisor tells you.

Hopefully we've cleared up both for you.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I worked with my install tech yesterday and he showed me how I could see the devices using Wifi 6 on my router and prove it as well.

The router is incredibly restrictive and doesn't allow you to enable, disable or even configure the 802.11ax band.

I would also like to note that I never assumed "tri-band meant wifi 6", but I did assume because it is the truth, that tri-band means it is capable of broadcasting 3 different signals. Not a 1-2 or a 3 but a 1-1-1 broadcast. This is made very clear by the documentation provided by Humax that this is indeed 2.4 - 5 - 6 broadcast.
What is not made clear is that it is completely hidden unless your specific device is capable of displaying the small 6 next to your wifi icon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.