Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Sep 23, 2021 12:05 AM

What does the following diagnostic error message mean?

What does the following diagnostic error message mean?

Diagnostic Error:  "WAN DHCP timeout 2 /var/log/net.log 2021-09-21T14:47:08 1 day, 8:08:19."

AT&T Gateway Model BGW320-505

The above error was generated by Google Nest Wifi Support.  I am getting extremely slow speeds from the AT&T Gateway.  I am using a Google Nest Wifi Mesh network since the AT&T Gateway with Wifi enabled doesn't have appropriate coverage in my house.  I am getting about 40 mbps wirelsss connect and 500 mbps or less directly wired Gigabit Ethernet from the AT&T Gateway to the Googl Router.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

2 m ago

Can you explain what you mean by "The above error was generated by Google Nest Wifi Support."  The Wifi Support people at Google Nest gave you this message?

or are you saying it came from the Google Nest device?

or are you saying it came from the BGW while the Google Nest device was connected?

• 

4 Messages

2 m ago

Google said this came from the AT&T Gateway.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

2 m ago

To answer this question, it means that the router that actually generated the message has had its WAN interface IP lease expire.  This means that it didn't complete the renewal before the lease expired.  At the point this message appeared until it was able to secure a new lease, it would not be able to pass traffic on its WAN interface, i.e. the Internet would be down to clients behind it.

IMHO, it's more likely that this message came from the Google device than the Gateway because the Google device didn't recognize the DHCP renewal reply from the Gateway.

• 

4 Messages

2 m ago

Thank you for the response .  It may in fact come from the Google Router.  I didn't know specifics there.  So the issue is the AT&T Gateway providing the IP to the Google Router has intermittent periods where the lease isn't renewed and my devices are unable to access the internet.

Why is this happening and how does it get fixed?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

2 m ago

Some devices don't recognize the response from the Gateway to a DHCP address renewal request due to a difference in how the RFP was interpreted by the developers.  This can cause the issue.

You can try extending the length of the DHCP lease using the Gateway's configuration page.  I recommend at least a day; that means you have a lot longer for the negotiation to succeed, and if it doesn't then you get interrupted far less frequently.

• 

4 Messages

2 m ago

Thanks for that response and suggestion!

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.