Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
JustJohnHS's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 11th, 2022 2:55 AM

What cable to use with fiber 1000

To hardwire a computer and get the most out of fiber 1000, what cable should I use? CAT 6, CAT 7, something else? I am using a CAT 5 (not 5e) right now. It is what I had lying around. Will I really get any benefit over a 5e or 6?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

2 years ago

How long is your run going to be? A good quality CAT-6/6a cable should work just fine. CAT-7 would probably give you the same performance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

When in a pinch I've run CAT5 patch cables before and they deliver full gig speeds.  But as @OttoPylot said, it really depends on length.  I wouldn't want to run regular CAT5 very far.

CAT5e is more than enough for gig speeds.  Here's a chart published by a leading maker of networking equipment and as you can see they say it's got more life than most give it credit for.

Now, if you could buy a good CAT6 cable for equal money then I don't see why you would bother with CAT5e.  But there are a lot of us out here with homes fully wired with CAT5e and I'm certainly not sweating what the future brings, at least not in my lifetime.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you both for the replies. 

My run will be about 50 feet.

I guess I can go with the CAT 6.

I just want to make sure that I am getting the best performance that I can get.

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

Since prices for CAT6a are now comparable to CAT5e you may as well use the CAT6, performance wise you'll see no difference at 50ft. 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I need 1200 feet from curb to house. I am installing Cat6 for a POE security camera and want to run whatever AT&T will want to use to connect the fiber optic in the future in the same conduit as my Cat6 POE run. Do I run another Cat6, Cat6A , Cat7 or actual fiber optic cable. If Fiber optic, what type fiber optic to use and how deep will AT&T want it burried?

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

@richard8l I think you should start your own topic. You're talking the feed coming into your house not within the house like this topic is about.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I did just that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.