Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Jan 19, 2019 1:30 PM

VERY slow wifi speed & page loads with Fiber 100/BGW210-700 router

I recently signed up for the Fiber 100 plan. My bandwidth is great and I get about 90Mbps down and up. I have < 10ms pings to major sites on the internet (Google, etc.)

But basic web surfing is AWFUL. For example, a simple Google search will take 6-12 seconds to load the page. Almost any page load is like using dialup. Oddly, there's a huge pause where nothing happens, and then suddenly the whole page loads instantly.

If I am on google.com and typing interactively into the search box, I will get near-instant autocomplete results. But when I finally hit enter and do the search, the page load will take 6-12 seconds. I get similar problems on other sites. It's like establishing the initial connection of the HTTP request is the bottleneck. I thought it was maybe DNS, so I switched to 8.8.8.8 but that didn't make a difference.

I suspect the router itself is the problem, because the admin interface is similarly slow when I visit 192.168.1.254. I get the impression that the router hardware is overwhelmed in some way; insufficient memory, unable to handle connections or something like that.

Rebooting the router makes it better for about 6-12 hours, then it slows down again. After a reboot, page loads are not as fast as our previous service (Time Warner cable modem), but it's bearable for a few hours.

I have wired as well as a WiFi clients using the router; it affects both, but WiFi is much, much worse. I am using all the default settings from the initial installation (only thing I changed was the SSID). I just got the system update to 1.8.18 a few days ago (it came installed with 1.7.x), but unfortunately that did not help.

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

Is there a step-by-step guide I can follow in order to turn off and on the 5ghz option?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

I disabled the 5ghz but now I have the opposite issue. Videos buffer and stop playing. Websites respond quicker but the buffering is awful. I would almost rather have the delay at first than have streaming interrupted. Has anyone gotten any acknowledgement from AT&T on this ongoing issue?

tonydi

Guru

• 

532 Messages

3 months ago

Yeah, that's the downside of this "fix", which is why you don't see a ton of people praising its effectiveness.  AT&T will never acknowledge an issue like this.  If it turns out to be something a firmware update can fix then it will just cease to be an issue without any notification because they don't release changelogs for the firmware.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 months ago

I’m not having any buffering issues with videos 

At 2.4 ghz others must be getting very slow speed test ? My speeds are usually 40 to 60 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I have the exact same issue... For each click, I need to wait 5-6 seconds. I have the same modem/router (Motorola BGW210-700) that is reported on this forum. Hope someone on at&t tech team can help

tonydi

Guru

• 

532 Messages

3 months ago

@Wilksguy  Don't be holding your breath on that one.  First off, this is a customer-driven forum, no official tech support here.  Secondly, this has been an issue since at least the beginning of the year so if AT&T had a fix, we would have seen it by now. It's not like it's an issue that only affects a handful of people.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

3 months ago

@Jimlee44 

2.4 network is subject to interference from other networks. People experiencing slowdowns on 2.4 have interference present. 5 network experiences less interference but has shorter distance range. The poor connection on 5 is distance related. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

3 months ago

@Wilksguy 

@tonydi has mentioned software issue. To add to that, combined modem/routers have poor routers in them. Cable company combo units probably have the same issue. If someone wants good WiFi performance, a dedicated WiFi router is needed. We had a wireless router in our 2400 square foot ranch home and in our current 750 square foot apartment. We will use 2 routers when we move into our 2600 square foot 2 story home in January. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 months ago

Not the case with me . I can stand right next to the modem and slow page loads continue . 
Range and overall speed are great , but the connection hangs on page loads and slow to connect unless modem rebooted  I don’t have any of these issues with 2.4 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

The issue we are all having is NOT a problem of distance on 5ghz. My RG is in my living room. The problem exists if I’m sitting 3 feet, 10 feet, or a room or two away.

Turning off 5ghz DID fix my issue. I was surprised but it absolutely did. So if you’re having this issue I’d suggest doing that as the fix.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks but my wired connections aren’t hitting the 300 I paid for either.  Sometimes I’m getting under 100.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 months ago

Switching to 2.4 ghz solved the issue for me too. But since it was only noticeable on my iPhone and iPad, I left 5ghz enabled on the gateway and connect to the 2.4 ghz connection with those devices only. 

tonydi

Guru

• 

532 Messages

3 months ago

@mckeeverj1856 

I thought you were going to install a Netgear router which should have fixed the wifi speed issue.  As for the wired speed, did you do the Google search I suggested that show various fixes for the Lenovo Ethernet problem?

• 

2 Messages

1 month ago

I'm a network engineer and I have this exact issue. Here's a little write-up with my thoughts.

Description:

A feasible explanation would be that the code doesn't purge one or more of the state tables of tcp connections, reflexive acls and translations after a certain amount of time.

After some uptime, for every new connection setup, the processor has to go through however many lines fit in its memory before deciding it's a new connection and then add this to the state tables (6-12 second delay).

That would explain when you make a configuration change that causes the (iptables) daemon to restart, that the problem goes away for 6-12 hours.

Mitigation/workaround:

Turning off IPv6 and all the features of the advanced firewall section seems to mitigate how fast this issue returns. An external security scan revealed that there's no exposure after disabling these features, so it seems safe to make these changes for somewhat longer relief.

Just a rant:

In the end ATT may never fix this. For example; ARRIS may have hired some external entity to write the defective portion of the software when it was developed and since it's considered security software, they don't want to pay to recertify etc. Future software fixes might just involve minor changes to the gui and such. ATT has bought millions of these modems and will most likely continue to place them at customers until they're done with their stock. Also, ATT is a slow moving behemoth that operates very inefficiently and even if all their repair people, tech-support and engineers know about an issue it could still take years before any action is taken. Their interdepartmental communication is also as good as non-existent and different engineering divisions even use different jargon and often don't understand each other; to the point that as a Cisco consultant, I have acted many times as a liaison between different ATT departments while representing clients. The irony here is that ATT is a communications company.

• 

3 Messages

It could be caused by bloated state tables, but this new discovery makes me wonder:

Whenever I experience the pause on my iPhone, I find that swiping up to invoke Control Center causes the page to immediately finish loading. If feels like the data has already arrived, but it just hasn't rendered. The behavior is consistent across all iOS devices on my wi-fi network.

Do you think that after some time, the router stops relaying the associated "end of transmission" packet and the browser is stuck waiting? Maybe pulling up Control Center forces WebKit (it happens with apps too) to stop waiting and render the page?

Has anyone else noticed this odd behavior?

-Jason

• 

2 Messages

JasonWi, I think you’re on a better track than I was with my bloated state table explanation. I wanted to remove my post earlier but can’t. It indeed didn’t explain why there was severe lag at times in iOS games as well as that should be going over already established connections. Purely to understand how modern home routers work I’d love to understand how this could be a hardware issue. I got a replacement router of the same model and with the same firmware and now the issue is gone! I can’t understand how hardware (maybe ASICs?) could influence end of transmission packet processing, but who knows, I’m pretty old school in this day of age I guess

• 

3 Messages

lwdbos, I'm glad that your new router is problem-free! I can't explain why, but I'm happy to hear it nonetheless. :-)

I'll try factory-resetting my router just in case the problem is caused by some weird combination of settings. If that doesn't help, I'll ask AT&T for a replacement too.

Take care,

Jason

• 

1 Message

Any luck? I received a replacement BGW210-700 and am experiencing the same issues still

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

@ncerice I reset my router to factory default settings on 1/18/20 and the problem has NOT returned for me. Hopefully I won't jinx myself by posting the good news.

I left most of the settings at their default values, but I did change the SSID and password, and I changed the subnet from 192.168.1xx to 192.168.0.xx. I avoided the temptation to fine-tune the Wi-Fi settings (like disabling 802.11b) this time around.

The only other difference is that I previously had the router standing vertically between my computer and a metal filing cabinet and now it's about a foot further forward. I'll push it back to its previous position to see if the problem returns.

Jason