Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
adlegs19's profile

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

Monday, January 10th, 2022 8:32 PM

Using TP-Link AC900 as a WIFI extender??

Is it possible to connect my TP-Link AC900 router in Access Point mode to the BGW320 Gateway and use it as a WIFI extender? is so, can you explain. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

2 years ago

@adlegs19 Normally, you would configure all access points with the same SSID and security settings to allow for seamless roaming of devices between access points.  The wireless channels should be different for each access point. Whether you manually specify the channel or let each device auto configure, that is up to you.

As far as configuring the TP-Link, there will probably be some differences based on if you are using it as a repeater (WiFi connection back to BGW) or as a hardwired access point (CAT-5/6 back to the BGW). Either way should not be too difficult to get going and the result should be similar.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

It is possible to use it as an Access Point with the BGW 320, either in combination with, or replacing, the Wi-Fi of the BGW 320.  You just configure it as an Access Point.  I would suggest locking both devices at different, no overlapping, channels in both bands.

If you want it to work as an extender, technically a repeater, in which it repeats wireless traffic it receives from the Gateway to local clients, and repeats traffic it receives from local clients to the Gateway, that may or may not function properly, but you would just follow the TP-Link instructions on Repeater mode setup.  There are also YouTube videos.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

ok thanks! when I go to configure the TP-link it asks to clone the MAC. Do I clone? also I see some posts say you have to use IP Passthrough will I have to configure this also?

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

2 years ago

@adlegs19 No.  MAC cloning is a method to allow you to use a router without having to update with the ISP.  It is not applicable for what you want to do.

Assuming you want to use it only as an access point and not your main router, no, you do not need IP Passthrough.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

When using AT&T, there's no need to ever clone the MAC.  Cloning the MAC is used with an ISP that authenticates your line based on the MAC address of your router.  To replace another router, you need to clone its MAC address so that the ISP recognizes you.  

However, I'm not sure you've made the correct choice on how to configure the TP-Link.  Access Points and Repeaters rarely have any need to do MAC address cloning, that's usually a router configuration item.  If you've chosen to configure as a Router, that will require additional configuration of the Gateway to make it work properly.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@tinslwc yes you are correct I want to use it as an access point only. Will it use the same SSID as the Gateway? Thank You!

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies! Let me see if I can get it done... 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.