Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 4:47 PM

Using my own modem and router with AT&T Fiber? (August 2020)

All of the information currently available online says that AT&T does not allow customers to use their own equipment with Fiber. However, when I just called to schedule service installation, I was told that that WAS allowed now, and would knock $10/mo off the price of the service. I wanted to 1) make sure that this is correct, that I now can use my own modem and router, and 2) I wanted to know if there's any way to find out what modems and routers are currently compatible with/allowed with the service. Can I just go off of a list of Uverse compatible equipment or what?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

One daughter is an attorney and says that when someone feels qualified to interpret the law and the other daughter is an RN and just loves it when someone explains medicine to her.  🙄🙄🙄

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

3 years ago

@tonydi Oh I know how sarcasm works. Mine was meant as sarcasm as well.

Scholar

• 

4.1K Messages

3 years ago

@jms112294 you can purchase you own BGW320 from an AT&T Reseller Toast.net. If they offer Fiber service in your area.

Just drop by their web site toast.net and enter your address to see your options. As a Reseller they use AT&T's network and AT&T install technicians.

http://Toast.net provides CS phone support and billing services. Depending on your arrangement you may purchase your BGW320 for $150 with no contract or pay a month contract with an included Gateway. They offer unlimited data but currently their price is $4.99 more per month for service. You don't get IPv6 support or private Static IP blocks of IPv4 addresses.

Another company DSLExtreme.com you might take a look at.

Dave

Participant

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I replaced the ATT BWG210-700 with one I bought on Amazon. I was on the phone with tech support when making the swap. Amazingly, all my settings from the ATT modem downloaded to my modem and I was up and running within 10 minutes. 

I am REALLY disappointed that ATT does not have newer more capable gateways certified with their network. This model was released in 2017 and it shows it's limitations on Wi-Fi range and speed.

However, the biggest limitation is that it only allows for 1 regular and 1 guest  2.4 GHz SSID and only one 5 GHz SSID. This is ABSURD. I can not even give my guests 5 GHz internet access.

Participant

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I replaced the ATT rented BWG210 with one i bought from Amazon. Did the replacement in 10 minutes while on the phone with Tech Support. I was amazed that all the previous settings downloaded to configure my modem. VERY HAPPY ABOUT THIS.

This model was released in 2017 and has considerable limitations on wi-fi speed and coverage. I have Wireless Access Points to provide full coverage on both floors of my house.  Also, there are only two 2.4 SSIDs one regular and one guest and only a single 5.0 SSID. meaning no 5.0 for guests at my house from it. Another reason i use Wireless Access Points that give me 8 SSIDS per radio.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

You are still going to pay the monthly equipment fee. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I purchased my own router online and asked the installation guy to hook mine up instead of his. Mine was exactly like his and worked right away. I am still getting a charge for the equipment on my bill. I have called and had this escalated but was told to mail a letter to the president. The service reps would tell me I was correct about the new law, but that they didn’t have the option to remove the charge. Should I file a complaint with the FCC? Or am I missing something here? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

3 years ago

You need to carefully read the law. I'm sure someone will post the details as I don't have the readily at hand.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@MRbor  What gateway did you buy, the BGW320?  If so, did you get an external ONT or an SFP module that plugs into the BGW from the installer?  Either way, those two items belong to AT&T and I'm sure they'll use the broadly defined "equipment" to mean their ONT or SFP and justify the fee.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

@MRbor 

Should I file a complaint with the FCC?

Please do and let us know what they say.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.