Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 4:47 PM

Using my own modem and router with AT&T Fiber? (August 2020)

All of the information currently available online says that AT&T does not allow customers to use their own equipment with Fiber. However, when I just called to schedule service installation, I was told that that WAS allowed now, and would knock $10/mo off the price of the service. I wanted to 1) make sure that this is correct, that I now can use my own modem and router, and 2) I wanted to know if there's any way to find out what modems and routers are currently compatible with/allowed with the service. Can I just go off of a list of Uverse compatible equipment or what?

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Well that's a definitive answer.  Thanks for your input.   

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

3 years ago

Even if they do provision it, as that is 99.44% likely an unreturned unit from a prior customer, they will treat it as their equipment and still charge you a monthly equipment fee.  So, you will still have paid money "for nothing."

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

No I would be getting the improved service.  Yes it would be an increased cost of $129.  The enhanced performance would be worth it to me.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

BTW  H.R. 5035 was passed in the house reviewed in the senate and referred to committee in 2019....still under review......

"Referred to committee"....where bills go to die.  Another bill has already passed into law that says they can't make you pay a fee for equipment you own, which I presume is why you were referencing 5035.  But that doesn't help you as you already said you're ok with paying the fee.  So I'm not sure why you brought up 5035.

Oh, add another $99 (or $149) fee to the cost since IF you can convince someone at AT&T to actually let you use your Amazon purchase, you'll need a truck roll to get that done. 

You're much better off to convince them to roll a truck and install their own 320 (which is the ONLY way to get a 320 right now).

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

With a law stating they can't require it that means who ever they buy their modem from now can  sale to the general public  don't you think  knowing they have a chance to make a profit from the sales to someone besides just  att which was probably a contract for a  certain  price that they would just say no to the extra money lol that would be  crazy. 

And if you go to them say you want to  use your  instead and they said no all you have to do  is quote the law that requires them to let you do this and they don't  have a leg to stand on as long as you can find the equipment and until recently there hasn't been a  need soon as there's a need for something the company's go crazy look at all the brands of cable modems out there and the different price ranges.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

3 years ago

Good luck. The law doesn't say what you think it does. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@jms112294   You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 years ago

@jms112294

Where did you go to law school?  You seem to know how the law works.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

3 years ago

@skeeterintexas I must disagree 😉. He doesn't know how the law works 😁. It would certainly help if folks completely read and understood what these new laws actually say and the loopholes built-in..

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot   LOL....apparently you don't know how sarcasm works.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.