Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 4:47 PM

Using my own modem and router with AT&T Fiber? (August 2020)

All of the information currently available online says that AT&T does not allow customers to use their own equipment with Fiber. However, when I just called to schedule service installation, I was told that that WAS allowed now, and would knock $10/mo off the price of the service. I wanted to 1) make sure that this is correct, that I now can use my own modem and router, and 2) I wanted to know if there's any way to find out what modems and routers are currently compatible with/allowed with the service. Can I just go off of a list of Uverse compatible equipment or what?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

My parents paid over $1700 over 10 years to rent xfinity's gateway.

I am currently extremely disappointed with xfinity seeing as they refuse provide services they forced my family to pay 2x-4x what our service says. Now my house is with out internet and my daughter can't do her online tests(distance learning). xfinity refused to come fix the issues here and kept charging us but consistently refused to provide services the last 6 years. I'm really upset about this.

Looking to change to att and don't want to pay another $1700+ just to rent a device which will tell me "CAN'T REACH DNS", or some other issue.

I just want att fiber optics because we are 6 ppeople in my home and each person uses at least 3 devices. We game, we stream, we twitch, we netflix, we upload to youtube, we discord, we screenshare, we school, we depend on having a reliable internet connection and we don't really sleep.

To switch out of xfinity I would like some advice about gateways. 

I don't want to rent and pay another$1700 over 10 years for a device which denies me what I should get with my subscription.

Gateway gateway gateway

I would like to buy my own if I switch to att fiber optics and need to know type please and thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

3 years ago

No, you must use AT&T's Gateway devices for which they will charge you $10.  You can install you own router in combination with the Gateway, but you won't be able avoid it completely.

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

@Zashikix  Unfortunately there is no way around renting the Gateway from AT&T.  You can put it in passthrough mode and use your own router behind it, but you must pay the $10 per month rent forever.  Yes that will add up to $1200 in 10 years.  I had asked AT&T to sell me their GW for a reasonable price ($150 to $300) but they will not. They have lawyers and lobbyists protecting their profits. Unless Congress changes the law we are stuck with rent forever.  

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@gdas   So in some parallel universe Congress actually changes the law and AT&T in that universe stops charging for equipment.  Then they raise the cost of the service by $10.

Happy now?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Eventually Yes You can use your own equipment but it has to be GPON ont fiber white boxes like alcatel Lucent I-010G or Nokia Intertek I-010G i bought my self one straight from the factory and original brand im not using ATT brand but in order to use your boxes you wanna request your PON Loid and password in order to connect

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Ok I have suffered with the out of date equipment provided by AT&T as well. In the past year they have replaced my BGW210 3 times had me install 3 Range/Mesh extenders replaced my switch with one they claimed was better....pushed me to bind my 2.4 and 5 networks together...all to little improvement.....I tried using a Cisco router in passthrough mode with no improvement. I asked AT&T for an upgrade to a BGW 320...the first time through chat. Was told no problem I would get it within 2 days and would receive a confirmation email in a couple of hours. The next day no email. So I called again.  I was told that the order had been cancelled. They reordered and this time I did get an email in fact I got two one with tracking info and one with installation instructions for bypassing the ONT....great when the package arrived it contained a new BGW 210 not a BGW320. I called AT&T...they apologized and canceled the original order and reordered it and said they placed a priority and expedite to get me the right equipment....again two emails one tracking and one for installing. When the box arrived it again contained a BGW210.So I called again. This time I am informed that BGW320s are not available for home use only for business customers....after bouncing around the AT&T phone world I ended up with Customer Retention who tried to cut through the red tape but soon ran into the same issues as me.  Looks like I am going back to Spectrum...not Fiber and not 1GB but they are also not lying about it.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 years ago

First off, your post is almost unreadable because of all of the banned words and phrases.  If you would like to edit it, use the 3 vertical dots.

Secondly, the BGW210 is the latest widely used modem.  The BGW320 is being used in very limited markets.  CS cannot order a specific gateway even though they told you otherwise.

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

BTW  H.R. 5035 was passed in the house reviewed in the senate and referred to committee in 2019....still under review......

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Seems like my first post was edited for run on sentences.  My bad.   I have found Amazon sells the BGW320 for one hundred twenty nine dollars.  My question is if I bypass the lucent ONT and connect my own BGW320 will it work.  Or does AT&T need to register it?   I am willing to keep paying the rental on the BGW210.  The BGW 210 was introduced 5 years ago.  In November 2016.  It supported wireless N.    But only one Antenna which reduces throughput by 50%.  Wi FI has moved twice since then to AC and now AX.   AT&T has upgrade programs for phones to move every 12 months.   They offer no trade in value for a five year old phone.    

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 years ago

If you buy a BGW320 from Amazon, AT&T may or may not 'provision' it.  Either it will work or you will have a very expensive door stop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.