Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 4:47 PM

Using my own modem and router with AT&T Fiber? (August 2020)

All of the information currently available online says that AT&T does not allow customers to use their own equipment with Fiber. However, when I just called to schedule service installation, I was told that that WAS allowed now, and would knock $10/mo off the price of the service. I wanted to 1) make sure that this is correct, that I now can use my own modem and router, and 2) I wanted to know if there's any way to find out what modems and routers are currently compatible with/allowed with the service. Can I just go off of a list of Uverse compatible equipment or what?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

It is simply a question of transparency in pricing. Sure, it is great that broadband internet access is available at the same price as dial-up access cost 20 years ago.

BUT, it is completely misleading to advertise the service as costing $50 per month - plus rental of equipment, if there is no way of avoiding paying the rental cost of the equipment.  Are we to see adverts that say the cost of the service is $10 per month - plus a somewhat (i.e. $40) bigger charge for rental of equipment? 

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

@NormanAlien Waiting for laws to pass that will forbid Internet providers from forcing customers to rent modems, and not offering a buy option. This has got to stop. I have asked ATT to sell me the Fiber Gateway for a fair price and they said they will not. Basically rent or go away.

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@NormanAlien   AT&T is totally transparent about the costs!  How is it misleading to tell you what the service cost is and also what the equipment cost is?  It's all spelled out right in front of you.  What would be misleading is if all they said was the service was $50/mo and then you get a bill for $60 because of the equipment fee being added on.

@gdas  LOL...yeah, keep waiting.  Before that happens we'll have the Internet beamed wirelessly right into our brains.

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

3 years ago

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I've recently switched to ATT fiber and am having a hard time connecting my own personal router to the gateway. I have the Arris BGW210 gateway, tried connecting my ASUS AC3100 router, after doing the IP passthrough I'm receiving a signal from my router but no internet, so I thought maybe my router isn't compatible with the gateway, so I bought a Netgear R7000 AC2300 yesterday and am having the same issue. 

Tech support on the phone could not figure it out. 

I'm hoping someone can help me please

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

3 years ago

You might actually want to start out by factory resetting your Gateway before this process.  Connect the WAN port of the router to a LAN port of the Gateway.  Then set up the IP Passthrough to your router in the Gateway and save it.  Then reboot the Gateway.  Now power off your router, and power it back up.  It should get your dynamic public address as its WAN address.  Once that happens, you should be good to go.  Try a traceroute from a client connected to the router and see what it does.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm about to switch back to ATT from Xfinity.  Last time I had fiber, I had a lot of weird issues with my internal network while using my own router.  Even though I had everything set right on the modem, every once in a while and almost always while I was out of town, their modem would randomly decide to take over DHCP and start assigning new IP's to everything.  Every time I came back into town, I would have to spend 2 hours getting the network reconfigured.

Still better than Comcast, and I definitely wish I'd stayed with ATT the first time.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Dezran   That's what the IP Allocation section of the gateway is for.  Enter your devices and the IP address you want and they won't go jumping all around again.

• 

47 Messages

3 years ago

I found the easiest thing was to run an ethernet cable from the AT&T gateway to the other side of the house, and hook up my router as an Access point.   That lets it use a different channel, and also allowed me to get 802.11AX.   I would think you could also just turn off the WiFi radios on the AT&T gateway and use your router for the access, but let the AT&T gateway assign the IPs.

I tried following their instructions to put it into passthrough mode, but it didnt work worth a crap.  Could not get an internet connection on any of the wireless devices.  I wish someone would just make a darn modem we could buy without the router built in.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

3 years ago

...ethernet cable from the AT&T gateway to the other side of the house, and hook up my router as an Access point. 

Okay so far, that's an option.

That lets it use a different channel,

Well, if you want to continue to use the AT&T Gateway's Wi-Fi, yes, I'd recommend locking them on different channels.

and also allowed me to get 802.11AX.

Using a device that has 802.11ax lets you use 802.11ax.  It doesn't matter whether you use it as an Access Point or a router for that.

I would think you could also just turn off the WiFi radios on the AT&T gateway and use your router for the access, but let the AT&T gateway assign the IPs.

Yes, that's what putting your router in "Access Point" mode would essentially do.  But I don't recommend that. The Gateway is not a great Wi-Fi device for the most part, it's missing several useful features that a lot of consumer routers have.  My guess is that thousands of us run the Gateway and a Router using IP Passthrough successfully.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.