Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Maxburners's profile

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2023 5:49 PM

Using my Linksys Velop for IP Passthrough or getting AT&T's wifi extenders

Just got the AT&T Fiber 1gbps and the gateway that came with it is pretty good but it had to be placed in the basement and the signal on my second floor gets really weak. I have the Linksys Velop 3 router mesh system, with a node on each floor (basement, 1st and 2nd). I understand AT&T doesn't have bridge mode on their gateway so I was hoping to get the community experts' advice on whether I should use ip passthrough or pay AT&T the extra $10/mo for their wifi extenders? logic screams use ip passthrough but based on limited research it seems i may see a drop in bandwidth and will need to rely on the firewall of my Linksys router vs. the ATT gateway? Thank you in advance for your support. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 months ago

Don’t get a Att extender. Try setting the velops as access points. If that doesn’t work well for you, try ip passthrough. 

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

Accepted Solution

Community Support

• 

229.9K Messages

3 months ago

Hi @Maxburners, we understand how improtant it is to have a high speed internet connection. Let's get the help you need.

If you wish to use your third party router (Linksys router) and if you wish to connect to AT&T gateway through IP passthrough mode the same will bypass the network and will give you internet network in its place.

• Placing a device in passthrough mode will remove firewall protection provided by the AT&T gateway.
  • When a device is configured in passthrough mode, it will be assigned a WAN IP instead of a LAN IP. Other devices connected to your gateway may no longer be able to share files with the device in passthrough mode.

If needed, you can also check how our Wi-Fi extenders works.

Hope this helps!

JasmineS, AT&T Community Forums Specilaist

2 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you both your input. I'll go ahead and do the IP Passthrough and monitor for bandwidth issues with the understanding that by doing the passthrough I'll also lose out on the ATT gateway's builtin firewall. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.