Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Dec 28, 2016 2:44 PM

Use the 5268AC or perhaps another Router with Linksys PLEK500 Powerline Wired Network Expansion Kit

When I got my service in August, I was using the Linksys PLEK500 Powerline Wired Network Expansion Kit (8 of them) to connect my wired laser printer, dvds and smart tv's to the 5286ac, and worked fine until November. I noticed that my wired network and 5gwifi wasn't working, only the 2.4wifi worked. I called in and was sent a new router, with the same results, but I noticed the network port on the router turned red when I plugged in the plek500, and the network  stopped as well as the 5g wifi. When I unplugged the plek500 after a few minutes everything returned. So I called again and a tech came out replaced the new router with another router, but we got the same results. I used a switch between the plek500 and the router, with the same results. Is there another router in inventory or perhaps something off the shelf compatible with the gigapower system and the plek500? Thanks for any assistance.

Responses

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@weathert2

You found the cause of your problem; "When I unplugged the plek500 after a few minutes everything returned." Sounds like your plek500 is bringing the 5268ac down by creating so many Ethernet errors the 5268ac is more focused on error recovery and can't service other resources on the 5268ac. It could also be a bad Ethernet cable.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I did replace the ethernet cable with one the tech brought with him. Why would it work for three months then stop?

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@weathert2

Assuming you are using the PLEK500 in other parts of your network, I would swap the one by the 5286ac with another as a first step. Should the issue continue, I would do as @my thoughts suggested; unplug each of the other units from the power receptacle one at a time, waiting 15 minutes to see if 5268ac recovers.

As to working for three months: Electronic technology can fail in many ways.

1. Like an incandescent light bulb, here today then gone in an instant
  2. Component will fail due to it becoming too hot. Cool it off and it will work again for a while
  3. External influences. Excessive Ethernet errors bringing a 5286ac to its knees. The new blender in the kitchen injecting excessive noise on the power lines. And so many more.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, I'll give that a shot...Thanks!!

Get started...

Ask a new question