Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
isjka's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 19th, 2024 8:15 PM

Upgrade from 5268AC to BGW320 with U-verse TV

Hi,

I've been a U-verse customer, both TV (coax) and home internet for about 15 or so years.   I'm the original owner of the home which thankfully has fiber to the prem.   3 TV's connected to U-verse and 1GB coming into the home for internet.  

I was interested in the new gateway/router, BGW320, but first wanted to get some advice based on my current setup.   I have an appointment set up for next Friday, 4/26 and am paying the $99 service fee for the visit since there is nothing wrong with my service.  

The existing gateway, 5268AC, is located on the 2nd floor in the home in a bedroom.   As you can maybe see from the pictures, the ethernet cable from the wall plugged into red is going into the red ONT on the gateway.  Likewise, the coax for U-verse is going into the Cable Line port on the gateway.  Disregard the blue cable.  All U-verse boxes in the home use coax.  

I do have an external router that I've been using for more than a decade now, ASUS -AC3200.   In fact, this same forum helped me set up my router which still am thankful for.  This router has performed quite well over the years even with the original configuration (yes I changed the user/pass).   There are around 35-40 devices connected wirelessly and 4 hard wired.  The wireless devices consist mostly of Google/Nest.  7 smoke alarms, 4 cameras, 4 Google Hubs, doorbell, thermostat, lock, etc.   I have 3 networks I use, 2 on the 5GHZ and 1 on 2.4.  Outside of an occasional hiccup on the 2.4 network, all is good.  

As I was reading some of the topics here pertaining to the router, I wanted to get some expert advice.   First, in order for me to use this new router, my U-verse will need to go wireless.  I am not sure if anyone here can relate to U-verse wireless, but I am more than eager to listen.  Part of me worries that U-verse will consume too much bandwidth but not sure.  Second, assuming the tech can install the router in the same location, do you think I would need an external router, like I have now?  I've seen mixed reviews on device connectivity with slower speeds.  Most of devices operate on the slower speed.   As you can see from my setup, it's not that complicated.  If you do think a new router is warranted, which one is the best one to get for this BGW320 and are steps clearly listed out to connect a new one?   I would have no qualms paying for these wi-fi extenders if you guys thought there was real value in it.   

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 month ago

Thanks all so far for the responses. 

Did not think about what @my thoughts said above with the DVR needing to be hardwired to the gateway.  While I could purchase adapters, I don't know what the performance or picture quality would be per se, and not sure if anyone else here has actually done that and can comment on the setup.   If I  do move to DirectTV Stream, does that also need to be hardwired to the router?  Good to know that the U-verse wireless boxes would be on separate access points like @receding_hairline said but also like they said, I actually have no issues with my service.  Everyone once in a while I do get some pixilation issues, but those are very infrequent.  

This weekend I will most likely visit an AT&T store to see DirectTV Stream in person.  I was told by an AT&T agent the look and feel is quite similar to U-verse.   It sounds like in my situation, if I keep U-verse, I should keep the existing set up.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

1 month ago

DIRECTV stream can be fully wireless, the DVR in the cloud, and there are no longer even set tops issued for that service (DIRECTV Internet is basically stream with set tops).  Questions regarding DIRECTV are best asked over on the https://forums.directv.com community.  We can answer Internet and U-verse TV questions.  I would be a little surprised if DIRECTV STREAM is still on demo at AT&T stores, but I guess it doesn't hurt to look.

If you're happy with your U-verse TV service I'd suggest not touching a thing with the Gateway.  If you're concerned with the Wi-Fi, buy a newer Wi-Fi router or mesh system. 

If you really feel the need for change: your U-verse DVR must be hardwired either via coax or Ethernet, but wireless U-verse TV set tops could wirelessly connect via the dedicated U-verse TV WAP.  As long as you don't have a lot of close-in neighbors to compete with 5 GHz bandwidth, I doubt it will be a problem for you, as it will likely pick a different channel from your ASUS and the 6 Mbps HD channel bandwidth U-verse TV uses is pretty thrifty.  Options for hardwiring might include either:

(a) purchasing an HPNA adapter like this one https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-Network-Homes-Satellite/dp/B001RJMBZU  and connecting your existing U-verse TV coax network to it and it to an Ethernet port on the new Gateway, [note that U-verse receivers natively speak HPNA on cable, not MoCA, so be sure to get an HPNA adapter, or get a MoCA for each end and use Ethernet at the receiver, too], or

(b) using Powerline Ethernet bridges (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM ) allowing you to connect Ethernet through your homes electrical system.  You could just use this for the DVR, or you could buy enough bridges to put one by each TV receiver.

Before spending a lot on (a) or (b), we do not know how long AT&T will continue to provide U-verse TV service, so go into this with open eyes.  It might be 3 months, it might be 3 years.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

1 month ago

Wanted to cut the cord and get rid of Uverse IPTV? Then either the BGW 210 or BGW 320 is basically the same if keeping the gateway where located using the RED port of the gateway. 

Ot switch from Uverse IPTV to DirecTv Stream which is all wireless boxes.

Otherwise will need to purchase Ethernet to coax adapter(s) to upgrade the gateway.

While wireless receiver(s) for Uverse may still exist the DVR has to be directly hardwired to the gateway.

Employee

• 

187 Messages

1 month ago

@isjka do you have any issue with uverse on coax, freezing or pixalation? In regards to having uverse receivers be wireless they are on separate wifi network all together since they'll have their own access point (pretty much small wifi router). So no need to worry about your wifi performance.

With your set up if you dont have any issue with your cable nor wifi performance I would keep the things as they are.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.