Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, May 25, 2016 1:37 AM

Unable to access computers remotely with TeamViewer on UVerse GigaPower service

I use TeamViewer to remotely access computers connected to my UVerse GigaPower gateway, either by ethernet or WiFi. This worked perfectly fine on Sunday. On Monday, I found I could no longer access any device that is behind my UVerse Gateway. The devices still appear online, but if I try to access them, I receive an error message: "Unable to connect. A connection could not be established. Partner could not be contacted at the given network address."

According to TeamViewer, as long as you can 'browse the internet', you should be able to use TeamViewer. Nothing changed on the devices, so I can only assume there is either an issue with the Gateway, or AT&T has for some reason blocked this service.

When I contacted support via chat, I was escalated to advance support, only to be told I would have to pay for a service subscription to have the issue fixed. So AT&T or their equipment begins to block a commonly-used service, and I'm told I have to pay to get it fixed.

Any suggestions, short of switching to google fiber when it comes available in my area in a few months? I've only had this GigaPower service for about a month, and this isn't making the best 'first impression'. I've been on various types of UVerse service for years without experiencing this type of issue.

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.6K Messages

4 years ago

Free support (tier 1) is offered for your products only....

Any support for a third party (non Uverse) will be sent to billable support.

As your are not stating the gateway cannot connect to the internet, or surf the internet then the issue is not supported freely. (Such as rebooting, or replacing equipment).

Perform a factory reset of gateway by depressing and holding reset button on back of gateway for at least 15 seconds. This restores the gateway to default settings and ensures updated software in case the software became corrupt. Of course, any custom settings you had will need to be set back up.

There is a possibility a software update was pushed out Sunday night that may have either not taken correctly (thus need to download by factory resetting) or a software change was made that "broke" whatever you needed. The software is managed by a third party (Ericsson, who bought MS Media room 2013) and changes occur quarterly. Not all devices are updated at once, maybe 5000 a night.... So if this is a new software update that has affected you, I am not aware of anybody else reporting similar issue(s).

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I experienced the same issue with U-verse internet and teamviewer.  Worked fine on Monday and would not connect on Tuesday.  I performed the factory reset as stated above and it resolved the issue.  Thanks for posting the solution to this issue.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

This is bull Uverse needs to fix this with an update and NOT require a factory reset meaning I need to recreate my SSID and password...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

ATT claims they did not release an update for my router but they said try a factory reset anyway

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am experiencing this same issue and a restore to factory settings is not working for me... any other ideas?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same issue here!  Tried resetting router -did not fix the problem. Will Uverse CSR please address the issue?  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The factory reset is not a long term solution.  I've tested it at multiple sites and each time after a factory reset I was able to connect no more than a single time to a Teamviewer host PC.  After disconnecting from the initial Teamviewer session, you can not connect again without another factory reset.

The issue is related to AT&T rolling out IPV6.  Disable IPV6 on the Teamviewer host PCs and you will consistantly be able to connect.  This has been tested on both a DSL and Gigabit fiber AT&T hosts. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Did not work

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

After disabling IPV6 reboot the host machine to insure there is no IPV6 address assigned to the network adapter.  You can probably just do an ipconfig release and renew along with restarting the Teamviewer host module, but a reboot will work.  If using the Teamviewer Computers and Contacts list, watch for the host machine to go offline and come back after the reboot. Once it shows online again, I've not had a single PC fail to connect because of the Protocol Negotiation Failed error caused by the AT&T update.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Disabling IPV6 corrected the problem here -went one step further and disabled at router level.  What a real headache... should have been more testing before rollout.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

A few days later, and now the issue seems to have corrected itself. I did not disable IPv6. If anything changes, I'll post an update.

Get started...

Ask a new question