Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Rkonjr64's profile

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, December 4th, 2022 2:21 AM

Trying to figure out best way to use Deco AXE5400 with BGW320-500.

Help please:

What would be the best configuration, in the following situation:  2 G Fiber optic into room top back of home, into BGW320-500.  1 Deco unit connected.  Work at home station requiring hard-wiring in room below.   3500 square ft.  3 unit Deco AXE5400 Mesh.   

Not an expert at all.  Not sure if I should use Passthrough to Deco, or use Decos as access points?  Will ethernet to Deco in room with Work at Home be at a disadvantage?

Any help would be appreciated.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Passthrough allows the Deco to control your network and provides you access to all of the features it advertises.  AP mode still relies on the BGW for various network functions and disables some of the extra bells and whistles of the Deco.  HERE is a list of the things you lose when in AP mode.

Most likely your Passthrough didn't work correctly because sometimes the BGW and the other router don't communicate properly at the start.  Sometimes you need to power both off and then power on the BGW, wait until it's ready and then power up the router.  Some people have had to do that dance a couple of times. You'll know it's correct when the TP-Link shows its WAN IP as your Public IP (as seen on www.whatismyip.com).

Yes, that's what I was describing.  It sounded like you already have (or will have) Ethernet coming from upstairs down into the room where that computer is now.  I'm not aware of issues with the main Deco and wired connections.  Can you point me to examples of what you've seen?

Thanks to @browndk26, that's a great tutorial for the setup.  As with many things writing it all out makes it seem like a lot of work but it's really only a handful of clicks.  Having the screen shots makes it easy to see and follow.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

I'd personally use IP Passthrough.   But how you hook it all up depends on where you need wifi and what your wired capability is in other areas of the house.

If you hook a Dec unit to the BGW upstairs and wire it to another Deco downstairs, that would give you the ability to hard wire the computer in that room and get 1Gbps speeds.  But now you've got two of your three wifi units concentrated in one small area of the house.  If that last unit could go in a place to cover any other wifi areas then I guess you're home free.

But if not, what would happen if you put the main Deco unit downstairs in that room still wired to the BGW upstairs?  That gives you two wifi Deco units left to deploy.  While you don't need Ethernet to connect the Deco units, it does provide some advantage if you have that wired backhaul capability.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

1 year ago

If your work from home station has hard wiring to the gateway, leave that computer connected to the gateway. 

Set up Deco as access points. If Wi-Fi coverage is not adequate as access points, try ip passthrough. 

If the goal of having the Deco is improved Wi-Fi, you will just have to experiment on what setup works best. 

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks Tonydi.  Again, much appreciated. 

What would make one pick Passthrough over Access Point?  That is a question not a challenge lol.   Much gets lost in text.

I initially did Passthrough (first time ever lol) and *something* was off.  I started messing with settings (in the Gateway) and the signal would drop for the Deco network intermittently.  That is why I ended up with the Access Point. 

When you refer to "putting the main Deco unit downstairs", do you mean running an Ethernet wire from the BGW to it?  

If I did that (beyond the wire running), I would have my Work at Home computer hardwired to the "Main" Deco (2 Ethernet connections) which I understand might be problematic.  

Do you know of a reference doc for running a Passthrough?  I have seen some, that either weren't clear, or for different units (either not BGW or Deco AXE5400).

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

As I'm working on this, I'm starting to think my Proton VPN, specifically "Wireguard" might be causing me a bunch of issues that I thought were the fault of my configuration.  Stayed tuned.  

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Ended up setting up as passthrough.  I could've gone access point.

The issue wasn't my set up-it was Wireguard as stated above.  

Thanks everyone for your help.  

-Robert 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.