Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
StevetheGreek's profile

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, June 11th, 2023 5:37 PM

Strict NAT in Pre Wired Apartment

I recently moved into a new apartment that comes with ATT Fiber.  The building management adds an extra 50 dollars a month on top of the rent for this.  The management gave me a link with instructions on how to login and manage my internet.  On this portal there is an option to enable to UPnP but it doesn’t work.  I called ATT they said it’s first come first serve and that I have to tell building management to contact ATT to “open more slots”.  I told management but they have no idea what I’m talking about.  In my closet there is Ruckus H510 with a Ruckus Fiber backpack.  I can’t login to the router or gateway and only have access to the portal.  I tried to install my own router but that gave me a double NAT and when I put it in bridge mode it kicked me out of the routers settings back to the portal.   This is very frustrating and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 months ago

You will have to talk to apartment management or the connected community rep. Most of us here have residential service with the att provided gateway in our homes. The gateway does not support upnp nor a bridge mode. Only ip passthrough to a router. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 months ago

@StevetheGreek as the others have said, you're out of our experience zone.  This is a somewhat rare arrangement and few (if any) people who have it come here and post questions (or answers) about it.  If you resolve this issue, then you can stick around and be our G-fast expert. :-)

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

I’m in an apartment with the same exact equipment and setup. I’m having issues as well that could be related. It’s been a hassle back and forth with technicians and the building management as they blame each other and it’s not their scope of work. Have you had any luck?

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

@SammieWammie I spoke to building management again they said that ATT tried a reboot and to see if it works now, but that didn’t work.  Building management is being helpful ATT not so much.   They have another meeting scheduled on Tuesday with ATT because the Wi-Fi in the apartments is very weak so ATT is trying to fix that as well….but I’ll post more updates next week.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I am now facing the same question as you did. I just realized I cannot play my Nintendo Switch online because the NAT type is D. And it's the same that our apartment has a RUCKUS H550 wifi AP connected to a hidden 'thing' or 'things'.

I have this kind of guess because I removed the PoE cable from their wifi AP and connected it directly to my Nintendo Switch. It's still NAT D. Then I connected it to my router and found it still under AT&T residential portal, having a private IP. So there is definitely something still above this wifi ap. At this time, I cannot visit http://myportal.attwifi.com/ because my router is not on AT&T router/AP support list. I don't have a PoE cable so I cannot connect the ap to my PC to access its portal.

I also used 'tracert' to see if I have a double-NAT issue. The first line is a private IP then the second line is that public IP. But since AT&T is using CGNAT, I think this cannot help.

I called 1 (877) 755‑0625. The customer service cannot understand what I am talking about at all and disappeared at the end without any notification, which is rude.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

9 months ago

@lydiagirl1 I spoke with an ATT tech who happened to be in my complex and he said that building management has their own portal and that ATT can’t do anything until management puts a work order on their portal.  I spoke to management and they put a work order in and this week an ATT tech is supposed to come into my apartment and try to fix the the issue.  I recommend going to your building manager and asking them to put a work order on their portal otherwise nothing gets done I’ve tried everything else for two months and this is the only sort of solution I’ve found.  I’ll post an update either way after the techs visit this week

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

@StevetheGreek Thank you so much for the update! I was also thinking how I should discuss with our apartment management and what I should let them do. That's super helpful! Thanks!!

1 Message

8 months ago

Any update on the situation? I’m having the same issue… just want to chat with my friends :(

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

@Cynice49  Hi friend, no solution so far for me. Our management put the ticket then AT&T came. Our management showed they report I wrote down then AT&T said they need to go back this to their technical department and the ticket is still open now. It has been a long time.

• 

5 Messages

8 months ago

@Cynice49 still working on it…after talking to a bunch of IT people in various forums and some friends of mine, we know what the issue is but it’s complicated.  ATT is sharing public IP address across multiple apartments, so instead of one apartment/home one public IP this systems shares IP’s across many apartments.  The solution is for building management to buy more IP address’.  I’m working with management right now to try to buy an IP for my apartment.  I recommend as did ATT that they purchase a block of IPs so that each apartment has their own but that is an another issue.  I’ve looked at my lease and consulted an attorney because in my lease there is no separate contact regarding ATT or anything specific as far as internet or ATT, only one line on the first page in the rent breakdown saying $50 for internet.  I’m giving management a chance to do the right thing.  Various IT professionals and even multiple ATT techs have said this system should not be in a residential apartment building and that this is more of a college dorm or office building setup.  Anyway I recommend checking your lease and talking to management about purchasing an IP for your apartment, there’s nothing else that can be done according to the people I’ve spoken with.  I even asked ATT if they could install a gateway in my apartment like I’ve had in previous buildings they said that’s not practical and they would have to redesign the whole complex’s system.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.