For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
gdranka's profile

4 Messages

Sunday, February 4th, 2024 11:50 PM

Service Issues Due to Frost

My AT&T Fiber service has been excellent, when it's working.  What my neighbor and I have noticed is that when it is very humid outside and then the temperature drops below freezing, we lose service.  "If" the temperature rises above freezing later in the day, the service comes back.  During the mid-January cold snap, we were out of service for days until the equipment on pole was replaced as it was covered in ice.  Even with the replacement, the problem has continued.  I have given up calling since by the time the service person comes out, the service is back.

There is obviously a problem with the robustness of the equipment when frost is present. 

Does anyone know if AT&T has any plans to upgrade their equipment to address what appears to be a design flaw?

Thank you.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

2 months ago

Unlikely, and even if someone did they may not be at liberty to share those details.  
Your best bet is to start a series of calls to get the outages on record for your account.  

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 months ago

The flaw would be at one or more connections moisture has been introduced possibly installation occurred while raining, or the fiber terminal or tethering point is located in a handhold that was steeped in water, etc.

The fiber light can pass thru water mist/ vapor but when temperatures change below freezing the moisture forms ice crystals which disrupt the light and lowers the level in db… say from -19 to -28 which will cause interruptions. Once restored back to liquid form the light passes at acceptable levels.

Copper wiring had issues when wet, fiber when wet and cold.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

2 months ago

The question then would be for the standard equipment Att uses, if the installation procedure was properly followed would it handle said weather conditions?  I bet the answer is yes and someone needs to recheck what was done and correct the problem.  

4 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you all for your comments and insight.

AT&T, any feedback?

Thank you.

4 Messages

2 months ago

AT&T, please respond, I know you monitor this forum.

This issue happened again this morning, a light layer of frost outside and the service went out for about five to six hours.  Temperature rises above freezing and the service returns.  This has happened many times already!!!  As suggested above, I'm calling in to record the issue.

Thank you.

4 Messages

2 months ago

It appears that this problem is resolved.

A linesperson from AT&T came out early on Monday.  As it turns out, we were already out of service due to the frost overnight, so the timing was perfect.  He found a coupling that was iced-up and de-iced, dried, and cleaned it out.  Most importantly, he then re-routed the cabling so that the coupling was now at the top of the loop rather than the bottom.  Since then, we have had two frosty mornings with no service issues.

Keeping out fingers crossed.

Thank you.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.