Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Pomdad's profile

7 Messages

Tuesday, October 31st, 2023 3:18 AM

Separate 2.4ghz network for older equipment

So I went through the process to change my guest network which is 2.4 ghz name and password then enabled it. My older Tivo still unable to connect. The Tivo had no issues connecting to my past xfinity service which didn't need to have separate names and passwords. Do you have any other suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

7 months ago

It may be that the Tivo device does not support a newer Wi-Fi encryption method in use by the gateway.

It could also be that the Tivo Wi-Fi is old enough that it is not compatable with the gateway. While the Wi-FI protocol in the gateway attempts to be backward compatable with old devices, some old devices do not properly handle newer Wi-FI information they are supposed to ignore.

What model Tivo device are you using? How old is it?

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

7 months ago

Others have reported the same issue (https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-features/device-tivo-roamio-ota-no-longer-connects-to-wifi/63043504c971e30321d6b4a0 and https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/device-tivo-roamio-ota-vox-no-longer-connects-to-wifi/6282abfed9009619cf00934a).

A potential solution (assuming you can run a cable between the Tivo device and the gateway) is to use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.

One reference (https://www.tivocommunity.com/threads/tivo-roamio-and-tplinkdeco-mesh-c206-error-due-to-security.581242/) discusses turning off the security on the guest network (and turning on isolation), but that has the downsides mentioned (anyone can use your Wi-Fi and other Tivo boxes will not be able to talk to the Tivo Romio OTA).

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 months ago

You've already posted this question to another thread. We'll keep the discussion here then.

You've assigned a separate SSID and password to the Guest Network and the TiVO sees it but doesn't connect. And you've restarted the TiVO and the gateway, correct?

Do you have any other 2.4GHz devices connecting to the newly re-named Guest Network?

7 Messages

7 months ago

Yes Tivo sees it. Cell phone and tablet both connect without issues.

7 Messages

7 months ago

It's the Tivo Romio OTA. My guess is it's about 7- 10 years old

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 months ago

That could be it then. It's just might not be compatible.

7 Messages

7 months ago

I went and purchased  a 50' Cable to connect the Tivo to router and now it works! Now I just need to run a new line thru attic so the temporary cable isn't running through multiple rooms.

Thanks everyone 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 months ago

I have a 10 year old HP8600 which would not connect.  The fix is to log into the router (a BGW210-700) and go to "advanced" then change the "Authentication" to "WPA-1 and WPA-2" for your 2.4 GHz network. Then your Tivo should be able to connect to your 2.4 GHZ network.   WPA-1 is an older security protocol.  This worked for my HP printer.  Your 5GHz network will remain WPA-2.  This fix was provided by the second AT&T CSR I spoke with.

My problem is that when I enable the guest network, it kicks my printer off.  I don't know if the 2.4GHz network then reverts to WPA-2 (the default).  I suppose I could go back in and check.  Not being very knowledgeable about this makes me reluctant of experiment. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.