Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
julerobb1's profile

• 

108 Messages

Saturday, December 5th, 2020 6:56 PM

Second 5Ghz Radio disabled on BGW 320-500 & 320-505?!

When i got this unit as replacement for the 210, I was thrilled to see it supported two different networks. Now you folks disabled the second one. Please revert this back to the 3 radio setup I need the three networks because i have one for legacy devices, one for newer and then one setup for my AX/wifi 6 devices. Please revert this immediately.
I am very unhappy when you make uneeded changes. If there is a way to revert this update and prevent future ones, let me know.

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

Security experts suggest that you put all IOT devices on a separate SSID (i.e., separate subnet), so even if an IOT device becomes infected, it will not see or infect your computers etc.  I currently use the guest network for my IOT devices, but a separate router is a better idea since you can also then control which DNS server you use and avoid AT&T's DNS server.

• 

108 Messages

1 year ago

Unfortunately due to at&ts incompetent technians if you use a secondary router connected to theirs they'll claim the non at&t device is causing the issues. They force you to use propertieytary locked down equipment that is capable of so much more than they allow it. 

• 

108 Messages

1 year ago

Also using another router with different DNS servers isn't going to let you use those other DNS servers fully. You're still going through the gateway to the at&t DNS servers and to their ISP and whoever they lease that from and so on.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

1 year ago

Most folks who want to use a second router will place the gateway in pass through mode to disable the gateway's router and allow the second router to do all of the heavy lifting and WiFi. The idea is to avoid a double NAT. AT&T doesn't allow you to use your own equipment so you at the very least have to use the modem in the gateway for authentication to their network. You can still use an ethernet connection to the gateway but WiFi etc. will be handled by the second router.

Teacher

• 

55 Messages

1 year ago

Just to clarify, my only issue with the BGW320-505, as configured by AT&T, is that it won't let me choose a 5G channel.  I'm perfectly happy with how it handles the heavy lifting and carrying.

As I indicated earlier, my "fix" has been to simply switch my TV to the 2.4G band.  Despite the congestion on the 2.4G band in my neighborhood, that switch ended the problem with my TV.  All of my other 5G-connected devices are capable of handling DFS channels, so I don't experience connection issues with them.

I wonder if @Tjsteininger  switched his soundbar to the 2.4G band, his connection problems would go away.

If, for some reason, I need to switch my TV back to the 5G band, I will add a "cheap" router in front of the BGW320-505.  By that I mean that I will configure that router as an access point (only), where it does no heavy lifting and carrying so it does not conflict with anything the BGW320-505 is doing, but where I will specify a different SSID name for it and control the channels it uses for both 2.4G and 5G bands.  Then I will connect my TV to this different SSID.

My hypothesis is that this will solve the channel selection problem but for people who dislike other things the BGW320-505 is doing, the passthrough solution is probably necessary.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

1 year ago

Also using another router with different DNS servers isn't going to let you use those other DNS servers fully. You're still going through the gateway to the at&t DNS servers and to their ISP and whoever they lease that from and so on.

This statement is untrue.  The Gateway will not redirect traffic to the AT&T DNS servers that is specifically directed to other DNS servers.  My router behind the Gateway has other DNS servers configured and those other DNS servers are being used.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.