Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
kushfest's profile

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 6:23 AM

Samsung Screen - ISP Blocking Service?

My Samsung monitor is unable to connect to any Samsung services and apps that are part of Smart Hub features.I first run in to trouble when it tries to run setup and fails to download the terms and conditions, always failing with an error that it can't connect due to maintenance. A check of my internet connection says I'm connected just fine.

When I run device care diagnostics, the Smart Hub tests fail with an error 202 during the ISP Blocking Test. Is AT&T Blocking this service for some reason? Is there anything I can do to work around this? It's rendering all these features completely useless right now. None of these issues exist when I use my phone as a hotspot for the monitor. Everything connects fine, so the issue is somewhere on the AT&T side of things.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've searched and searched and nothing has worked.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 2 d

Has this feature on the TV ever worked?

Since you didn't say if you've tried any of the common fixes mentioned online, I'll just go with the most common one.  Try going into the Network settings on the TV and look for IP settings.  Manually change the DNS address to something else, 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 and then Save the settings.

You might have to power the TV off and then on but if that was the cause you should be good to go.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 2 d

Thanks Tony! I should have been clear, I have tried all the basics. I've got a static iP assigned by my router to the monitor and have IP, gateway, and dns servers all set manually to be sure they are correct. I've tried restarting, power cycling, etc the monitor and my router. Etc.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 2 d

And the DNS server address is not one of AT&T's, right?

Since you've seen all those online threads you know this is really some sort of issue that Samsung TV's have with certain routers.  Some Netgear forum threads show the same issue there, so it's not just the AT&T gateways.

I saw one post that showed the owner connected the TV via IP Passthrough essentially taking many of the gateway functions out of the equation, and that worked.  I'm not sure that's a good idea for a device such as this.

Hmmm.....what's the model number of the Samsung?  I presumed TV but just realized that you never actually said it was a TV, just a monitor.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 1 j

Yes. Currently using cloudflare for DNS.

I've noticed that this does seem to be a Samsung issue at its core and there isn't much out there to help overcome it. Definitely don't want to IP Passthrough to that device, but I did see that post where it was found to be effective.

I'm using the Samsung M8 Smart Monitor (LS32BM801UNXGO). It's basically a smart tv that's doubles as a computer monitor. All very slick in concept, if you can actually use the smart tv functions hah.

Appreciate you jumping in with thoughts on this. Any others are very much appreciated!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 1 j

I suppose that if the IP Passthrough really works for the M8, then you could install a third party router using IP Passthrough and point the M8 at that router.  Essentially the same thing, working around whatever the AT&T gateway might be doing and I'd be more comfortable with that setup.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 1 j

I'm actually doing that now with the same results. I've tried having the Samsung connect to wireless directly from my gateway, but my preferred situation is to have the gateway in IP pasthrough to my ASUS router. Any thoughts on settings on the router that could affect this? I tried changing the DNS servers to the AT&T servers, but  was not successful.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 1 j

Huh?  The ASUS wouldn't let you set up the DNS servers in its UI?  🤔

I just realized that we've never discussed which gateway you have.  Especially with the BGW320 (but not exclusively) we've been suggesting doing a factory reset on the gateway whenever anything odd shows up.  This might be a good time to do that, although of course you'll lose all the customization you've done to the gateway settings.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 1 j

No no, sorry. That wasn't very well explained. I thought maybe the issue was my DNS server, since my ASUS is set to cloudflare and my gateway uses the AT&T DNS servers. So I set my ASUS to use the default and it still didn't work.

I'm currently using a BGW210-700 gateway. I installed it yesterday. AT&T Service was EXTREMELY confident that the only thing needed to solve this was to replace my older gateway, a NVG599 that beyond this issue was also working just fine in IP Passthrough. Needless to say, swapping the gateways was pretty straightforward but nothing changed (other than I think my speeds aren't quite as fast, but I haven't closely analzed).

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 1 j

Ehh, we have seen a smattering of issues on the BGW210 that got cleared by the factory reset, but nowhere near how many BGW320 issues get fixed by that.  So at this point it's mostly throwing spaghetti at the wall but it might be worth a shot since I'm out of ideas at this point.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.