Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Jun 8, 2016 11:05 PM

Replace Modem and WAP with Netgear AC1600

Hello - I upgraded to Gigapower recently and ATT required us to swap our modem.  I've got 2 wireless DVR's, apple tv, smart tvs, laptops, etc.  The modem is not delivering max mpbs up/down and I want to replace it with a Netgear AC1600 that I purchased independently.  Can I replace the current Uverse modem & wap with this single device, or how do I do this?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@barrelhead2016 - No & no - Wireless receiver only work on WAP.

Make sure WAP is at least two meters from the RG. Get a longer cat5 & find a better ocation for the WAP. Wap must tbe connected cat5 to the RG.

WAP cannot be extended with wi-fi device.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@aviewer thanks. 

What about the regular Cable modem provided by ATT.  Can I replace that with the AC1600 from Netgear and connect the ATT WAP to it?  Or are you saying I can't use the AC1600 at all?

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@barrelhead2016 - att eqpt cannot be replaced with personal eqpt. You can connect your own switch or router (set up not to hand out  DHCP, pretty much set up as a dumb switch) to feed internet devices or STBs. Not recommended to mix the two on one leg from the RG because the TV may flood the router.

Get started...

Ask a new question