Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
orubin's profile
orubin
Rising Star
#1 Star!

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

Wed, Aug 10, 2022 3:02 PM

Recommendations for a reasonable priced home router?

As posted in another thread, I’m tired of AT&T resetting their router configuration every time the router gets a (maybe major) update. So might be time to set their router to pass-through and put a “real” WiFi home router behind it. At least then I’d only need to change back a few settings on their reset. 

So looking for recommendations for a decent router please. 

Thank you. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

2分前

Depends on your needs, area covered, etc. What do you consider a reasonable price?

orubin

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

2分前

Fair questions. Say sub $400. As for coverage, my old routers now act as access points around the house where I could get cat-6 to go, so coverage is less an issue. I have an old Linksys WRT 1900 AC that actually covers almost the entire house. That device has great WiFi.  So I’m more interested in the router part. I had a SonicWall some time back, but it died. And now they want a yearly charge to use it, and that doesn’t fly. 

I’d considered switching to the open source on the Linksys? But the ports are only 100s, so it’s old tech so I suspect not fast enough to run the house anyway. 

Thanks in advance for recommendations. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

2分前

FWIW, I use the Netgear Orbi AX4200 Mesh WiFi 6. Two satellites, one is hardwired to the router downstairs with solid copper core, CAT-6 cabling (non-CCA/CCS) and the other just uses WiFi for the private backchannel to connect to the router. Coverage and speeds are excellent downstairs and upstairs with zero issues. Works very well for us but other mesh systems like Eero, Velop, Google, etc also work well. The satellites on the Orbi system both have two 1GB ethernet ports so you could hardwire other devices to them as well.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.8K Messages

2分前

Look into the asus xt8 2 pack. Three Wi-Fi channels. Ethernet Backhaul to the satellite. You can add another router later if you wish. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081GH8XRS/ref=twister_B089MRVS2F?tag=52421_iceleadscom-20&ascsubtag=s1605297246749l4boa52421&_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

orubin

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

2分前

Interesting products, but they both seem to put WiFi coverage as their major feature. But I’m off to read more.  Thanks. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

2分前

@orubin  Isn't that what you want? Or do you want something more secure? I have no security issues with my Netgear. 

• 

12 Messages

2分前

@OttoPylot How were you able to bypass the AT&T Router/Modem to allow your Mesh to work flawlessly? I have the BGW320, disabled all wifi settings, and tried setting it in pass through to my BR60 Nighthawk Mesh to act as our router, but am getting massive packet loss issues?

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.8K Messages

2分前

@DuhstinAK  @OttoPylot   Does not have att service. Have you turned off the gateway firewall and packet filters?

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

2分前

@browndk26 I believe I did, but I was following some of the very broad guides on this forum, so I am not 100% confident everything was done that was needed? I gave up last night, reset everything back to factory and am running just the BGW320 at the moment.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.8K Messages

2分前

@orubin Mesh Wi-Fi systems have good routing features. If you want a dedicated firewall/router. You can look into microtik, udm equipment. I have no experience with them. @tonydi and @JefferMC  could comment more on equipment like those. 

Here is a good forum.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/network

• 

12 Messages

2分前

@browndk26 That is one of the guides I tried to follow, but ran into the issues of the packet loss. It has a step that states enter your information here - info I am not entirely sure on what to enter.

• 

12 Messages

2分前

@browndk26 After the initial settings changes on the BGW320, turning on pass through, would there be additional settings I would need to change on the Nighthawk side of things? I run NordVPN, could that be causing some of the issues?

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.8K Messages

2分前

Go to the ip passthrough tab. Turn it on (passthrough) select dhcp fixed. Select or enter the router MAC address. Turn off Wi-Fi, firewall and packet filters. Reboot your router. 

• 

12 Messages

2分前

@browndk26 I will attempt this again, and will update. Thanks.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.