For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
dyork000's profile

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2023 7:52 PM

Rebooting Gateway Router

I have installed a new gateway router (BGW320-505), but the same problem happened with the previous router (in a different location in the house).  To my troubleshooting mind, this is either a) a unique environmental factor in my home or something entirely on the ATT side of the house.  We get a couple of reboots a day, then maybe a day or two without rebooting, and then the cycle repeats.  Have had three engineers to the house and multiple HD sessions.  I wondered if anyone had a similar issue.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Popular subject today!

We're not sure why but we've seen a number of issues like this on the BGW320 get fixed by disabling IPv6.  Might be worth a shot.

Go HERE then enter the Access Code as shown on the back of the gateway and change IPv6 to OFF and then click the Save button.

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

The problem existed on the previous black BGXXX model as well, which didn't have IP6, but might be worth a shot.  Thanks for the thought.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

There was IPv6 on the BGW210, I think you're thinking of Wifi6, which is unique to the 320.

It's not clear if this works on the 210 or not.  Given your problem predated you getting the 320 then we'll just have to wait and see. 

I'm thinking maybe we're venturing into the "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" territory.  So I've been reluctant to suggest this as a fix for all 320 reboot issues and have yet to see enough to convince me to include 210 reboots. 

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Sorry misread that ... IP6....let me try that...worth a shot.

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I think this is the answer.  I mean we rebooted on Monday PM to apply the fix and here it is Friday with no reboots.  I would be guaranteed at least one reboot in the last 3-4 days.  I'm amazed that the ATT Techs don't know to do this (or maybe they are told not to turn off IPv6).  Thanks for your help tonydi.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Great that this worked for you!  I don't know if there's a pathway for info posted here to get to the other "support" depts and if there is, how long that would take to propagate (my gut says no, and never).

• 

52 Messages

1 year ago

Hmmm see @tonydi , it's looking more and more like what we've been theorizing, lol. Since it's harmless to disable the IPv6 function I don't see a problem with telling people (like you did in this case) to try it and see what happens. I haven't been looking very hard outside of the other thread I'm on but it seems as though everyone that disabled this has had success. I'm telling you, the AT&T folks need to get this figured out.

All I know is that I'm thankful for chat forums like this one otherwise I'd still be in limbo. On a side note, car forums are the same!

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Yeah, I agree, at least on the 320, mostly because of the "can hurt" factor.

I was a car guy before becoming a computer guy so I know exactly what you mean.  The difference is that people coming in here may be clueless but they know it.  The clueless ones in a car forum just don't know it. 😁

• 

52 Messages

1 year ago

LOL! So true. In car forums EVERYONE is an expert. I mentioned car forums because I figured you're a fellow car enthusiast due to your avatar which appears to show you(?) tracking. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

I think there's some thinking that guys were just born with car knowledge so to admit you don't know would be an assault on your manhood.

Yeah, unfortunately that's just a stock photo of my car's model and not me driving. I'd love to do that but my understanding is the stock cooling system gives up after a few hard laps and the days of me just ripping out the stock radiator and fitting a racing radiator are long past.  But I had years of fun running SCCA and IMSA events so I don't feel I'm missing out too much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.