For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Kristen0419's profile

3 Messages

Friday, February 2nd, 2024 2:29 AM

Purchased Extender and the devices in that room still have a weak signal

I just had Fiber installed last week. One of area of our home had a weak signal so I purchased an extender. It arrived today & after setting it up, I was able to get a strong signal in that room. The problem is the devices in this room are still showing a weak signal & they are connected to the main gateway. I’ve tried restarting everything, including the devices. How can I get the WiFi in this room to work properly? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 months ago

What kind of extender, AT&T's AirTies or something else?

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

3 months ago

You say you are getting strong signal in the room but all devices get a weak signal in that room. Seems a bit of a contradiction.

How are you checking the signal strength?

3 Messages

3 months ago

I purchased the extender from ATT. 

And yes, it’s confusing to me as well. I used the “signal strength” checker in the smart home app to determine I now have a strong signal in the room with the extender. I also use the smart home app

to check the individual connected devices signal strength, which are still weak in the room with the now strong signal. It seems they won’t connect to the extender & stay connected to the gateway. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

3 months ago

If you're like the rest of us, once you get unconfused, you'll look to a different WiFi solution. 

Yes, it's completely acceptable to pay for Att Internet and look elsewhere for a WiFi system to handle that traffic. 

3 Messages

3 months ago

Do you mean like a 3rd party extender or mesh system? Or something different? Any recommendations? I’m not very knowledgeable in this area but have been trying to do some research since having this issue. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 months ago

@Kristen0419  A lot of folks don't bother with extenders etc. They just purchase a mesh WiFi system, which is a router and a satellite or two. Put the gateway in IP Passthrough and let the new router handle all of the routing and WiFi duties. Netgear, Eero, Velop, Ubiquiti, Google, all make excellent mesh WiFi systems depending on your needs and cost point.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.