Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Oct 20, 2021 3:19 AM

PS4 has slow connection when all other devices are great

Since I've switched to my fiber 1000 connection, my PS4 is getting continuously slow connection.  No matter what I or tech support have tried, we can't get above maybe 20 mbps.  Standing next to my PS4, my phone is at 400.  My PS4 is maybe 10 ft from the gateway so the actual connection is good but the speed is consistently poor.  I've tried the port forwarding and am using a different DNS setting but neither has made any difference (port forwarding seemed to increase lag).  Not sure how I can solve this.  Just before switching from spectrum wireless where I only paid for 200 mbps, I would consistently get 125-150 so the PS4 isn't an issue on its own.  My NAT Type is Type 2 so that isn't a problem either.  Any help would be great as this has been very frustrating.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.1K Messages

Il y a 7 m

Which PS4 do you have? The original has a weaker network card, only supporting 2.4Ghz. You might consider direct Ethernet, even a powerline adapter if your home wiring is in good condition as that usually is faster and more stable than WiFi.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 7 m

@stevencabbott 

What speeds are you seeing on your PS4 that you consider slow and is it still in the same range you had with Spectrum?

It would help if you provide a few more details about your PS4 since your Phone Wi-Fi speeds are generally acceptable without specific details on your smartphone.

Also it would help to know if your where your PS4 and the AT&T Gateway are located? 10 Foot distance does not matter if there is something blocking the Wi-Fi signal.

Is the AT&T Gateway located at least 42 inches above the floor and not in an enclosed cabinet? Do you have any large Electronic devices between the the Gateway and your PS4? For example a large LCD TV or Monitor?

Also you phone is likely capable of higher Wi-FI speeds as @Juniper posted above so it being able to get 400 Mbps on AT&T would be expected.

Wi-Fi is asynchronous (one direction at a time) which means your phone has a 800 Mbps connection to the Wi-Fi router.

What is your connection speed for your PS4 in addition to the questions that @Juniper ask above about it's PS4 model and Wi-Fi adapter.

Dave

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 7 m

Thanks for y'all getting back to me so quickly. To answer Juniper's question, I have a PS4 Slim 1 TB model. I bought it in early 2020. Regarding the speeds I'm used to, I had been typically getting non-peak time speeds of about 125-150 Mbps when I was with spectrum.  This would drop during peak hours, which was one of the reasons we left spectrum to get the att fiber.  At this point with the att fiber, I am maxing out around 25 Mbps and usually closer to 10-15 Mbps.  Not sure upload speeds matter for games, but uploads on the PS4 flux between 3 Mbps and down to under 1 Mbps.  I agree my phone is likely to accept faster speeds, but it's similar to the speeds I see on my pc and work pc plus other units. 

The PS4 is located just inside a room that is next to the room the gateway is located.  There are no heavy electronics between or near the PS4 except the TV it is connected to, which is unavoidable.  The location and all that hasn't changed since I switched from Spectrum.  Also, testing my phone or computer at the same location doesn't impact speeds noticably vs other locations.  I didn't measure the gateway height but it's about chest high on me so pretty close to 4 ft off the ground.  

Hopefully some of that info helps!

I really appreciate y'all taking any time you're willing on this.

Steven

• 

1 Message

Il y a 4 m

Hi I’m having similar issues, did you find any fix for the problem?

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.