For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
C

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, November 19th, 2020 10:56 PM

Pre-existing ONT unit in an apartment, trying to figure out connection.

Hello,

Just had my equipment delivered today to a new apartment I've moved into.  Apartment is fiber ready, and the ONT box is located in the bedroom closet inside sort of a wall unit (it's very messy to be honest).  Obviously, this is very far from where I'd like my gateway to be.  However, I can live with that.  What is confusing me is that I don't see an input for the cat5 on the ONT box to plug my gateway into.  What I do see, coming from the wall unit, is coaxial cable that is connected to the wall.  I don't know if this is to facilitate using non-fiber or what.  The gateway itself does not have a coaxial connection, only cat5 and a phone line.  

Am I missing something here?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

Pics would help... the standard UVERSE fiber with internet 1000 available would be either the white 010 (GPON) or black 020 (XPON) Nokia ONT.

Learn About Battery Backup - Internet Support

If you have an older ONT, possible BPON, or early GPON 240 would recommend calling for a tech installation. These units would have a large power supply outside the grey unit.

But you mention coax connection.... this is G-FAST internet (believe max internet speed is 200 or 500) and using DirecTv as installers and direcTv coax wiring. Very limited markets (22?) where these were deployed to my knowledge... which leads to the question where are you? City, State?

https://about.att.com/story/att_g_fast_on_sale_now_to_apartment_and_condominium_properties.html#:~:text=internet%20service%2Darea.-,G.,per%20second1%2C%20but%20G.

Each of these metros is located outside of our traditional 21-state home internet service-area. G.fast provides internet access to apartment and condo units over existing coaxial cables. This can minimize disruption for current residents because there’s no need to place new wiring in each residence. AT&T will offer internet speeds of up to 500 megabits per second1, but G.fast provides the capability to allow AT&T to offer greater speeds over time. Residents of these properties can also enjoy the availability of DIRECTV without installing a dish at their individual units.

G.fast adds another innovative solution to existing fiber and millimeter-wave wireless access solutions for MDU property owners to provide their residents high speed internet and TV services. 

“We’re tapping into the existing internet infrastructure in some multifamily properties to bring ultra-fast internet in less time and with less disruption than replacing the network with fiber,” said Ed Balcerzak, senior vice president, AT&T Connected Communities. “While fiber to the unit remains the best broadband solution for most properties where possible, G.fast and fixed millimeter-wave provide connectivity to properties that aren’t able to support fiber. AT&T is committed to providing apartments and condos with connectivity across the nation, and innovations such as G.fast are helping us to do that.”

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

You have the 010 ONT, the bottom slides down when in an upright position....

in your case will slide to the left (piece with APN337 written on it)

Will then see the RED ethernet port (will be center)

BYW, if light level is -13.88 db that is very good.

Your current connection is the white cable coming out of the lower portion... if connected to a blue ethernet means one of the jacks in the unit is wired for the gateway... try the living room jack(s) first.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hey thanks for chiming in.  This location is Woodstock, GA.  Signed up for the fiber 100.  The ONT I have in my previous location was much smaller and very easy to deal with, though it was all installed by a tech.  Here are some pics.  

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks again.  I'll give that a try and see if I can get it connected tomorrow when I get there.  The jacks in the house are normal phone jacks unfortunately, the ethernet cables won't even fit.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.