Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Dec 20, 2016 10:01 PM

POSSIBLE VULNERABILITY: Pace 5268AC Leaves Wifi Radio On With No Security Even When is Set to Off.

Just had my Fiber service installed that last week. I want to use my own wifi router so I decided to shut off the AT&T gateway's own wifi. After doing so I noticed that although they would shut off for a minute, the 5Ghz radio would always turn on by itself even though the settings say that it's off. AT&T agrreed that this was a problem and sent me a second gateway. After my second gateway I'm still getting the same issue. 

As a note, the wireless radio leaves the 5GHz radio on and creates an open connection. Sometimes it shows the SSID sometimes it does not but I can see it's BSSID (mac address) using the Wireless Diagnostics scanner on MacOS. This seems like a major vulnerability to me.

Support seems to be completetly clueless as to this issue. Anyone has any ideas why this could be?

Responses

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I may be wrong in that there are 3 radios... I just assumed that when I disable the 2.4 and 5, that they are actually disabled. That is not the case. I just want all radios but my own router's off. Very Frustrated.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I agree and understand the frustration.  I think we all assumed that disabled meant disabled.  I'm personally rather disappointed that they acknowledged the issue months ago and yet still no update or fix.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Here is what I did most recently. I turned the 2.4 and 5GHz radios back on. I gave the 5 a new name. Then disabled. It stayed off for about a day and a half. Then this morning, I show the broadcast with the new custom name on the 5GHz. Keep in mind, when logging in to the gateway, it shows BOTH radios as disabled. This behavior negates what every agent and tech told me before ordering the service.

Does anyone know if the BGW 210-700 behaves in the same manner? 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

More odd behavior: I renamed the 2.4 and 5 radios. Refreshed everything. My devices are all still seeing a broadcast with the old custom name. When I unplug the gateway... the old custom name disappears from the devices. When I plug the gateway back in, the old custom name shows back up on the devices. Keep in mind, this custom name has been changed for all radio names for the user network and guest network on both radios. Originally, the default name was the one that showed up on the devices, even with the radios "off".

Can someone explain this? See below. With both radios disabled, it shows 1 5GHz as active and 1 as inactive. Does that not mean that there are 2 5GHz devices? The 3rd column is Active / the 4th column is Inactive

Interfaces Interface Status Active Devices Inactive Devices

EthernetEthernetEnabled 10
HPNAHomePNAEnabled00
Wireless 5GHz Wi-FiDisabled11
Wireless 2.4GHz Wi-FiDisabled00

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

This is the same exact issue I had when orginally troubleshooting. Even
when disabling all radios in the firmware setup page, the beacon remains on
- very frustrating.
DePingus

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

@albizu

As a note, the wireless radio leaves the 5GHz radio on and creates an open connection. Sometimes it shows the SSID sometimes it does not but I can see it's BSSID (mac address) using the Wireless Diagnostics scanner on MacOS. This seems like a major vulnerability to me.

I get this open network too but the SSID has always been hidden. What was the SSID for this open network?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I have found that when I toggle the 5GHz radio off, then on again... the broadcast disappers for 2 to several days at a time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

The real tragedy is we are forced to use this inferior gateway.

Point blank: As a network engineer I cannot recommend AT&T as a business class ISP.  Especially businesses who must remain PCI compliant.  The security vulnerability of not allowing users to disable a radio is HUGE.  Any well respected company would kick my butt to the curb if I made such an error.

This whole process with AT&T has been like living in the twilight zone.  I've never dealt with such inferior customer service and products.  Bluntly, I can't comprehend the level of stupidity and sheer ignorance. I'll be switching my clients to another provider.  

Don't even get me started on integrating your own firewall with the DMZ mode.  

Perfect example of why we need ISP competition.  When they get this big we all suffer. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I have a 2wire 5268AC. I have 5ghz disabled but I get a ghost/unknown signal in 2.4.

During  reboot, it goes away but comes back when reboot finishes so for sure it's coming from the ATT router.

I started checking signals when all of a sudden the wifi range diminished and I get a lot of buffers.

So true is the ignorance of AT&T customer service.

I need to see if there is  a ghost signal in 5ghz and match or see how close the mac address of the ghost is to the 5268AC.

But for sure the ghost is 2.4

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

The same problem seems to exist on the Motorola BGW210-700. I turn off all 2.4 radios and it still broadcasts and the Airties extenders also repeat the bogus 2.4 signal.

It seems to be an intentional door is being left open.

gjlieber

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

Here it is July 16th, and I received a 5268AC about 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to a faster U-verse internet speed.  In going through and identifying all the devices on my network I came across this device, that I have been stumped what it was except that it had a 2Wire MAC address:

wirelesserror.jpg

Has this extra wifi 5 GHz radio been fixed, and if so how do I get the fix?  The last thing I need is a backdoor to my network.  Anyone?  Preferably someone from ATT.

Thanks

DePingus

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

On the Pace 5268ac I haven't checked the new firmware (11.whatever) since that broke DMZ and I'm getting a new router Monday. But on the previous 10.whatever firmware there was no "fix" for the secret network. If you disable the 5GHz wireless network you end up with an unknowable hidden SSID. Since no one knows the SSID, no one can connect to it. Since no one can connect to it, no one can sniff the SSID. Even though it doesn't have any security, its secure because no one knows the SSID.

Regardless. That's not secure enough for me. What I ended up doing was creating a 5GHz wireless network with a crazy long random WPA2 key, tuning the channel to something far far away from my APs, and setting the power down to the lowest setting (IIRC 10). That's as secure and unobstructive as its going to get.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

2 months ago

Was this ever fixed? My ATT Uverse router broadcasts a hidden 5Ghz network on the same channel as my normal 5Ghz. I've been having network stalls and trying to troubleshoot.

My status page shows lots Transmit Discard Packets on the 5Ghz side of the network. I'm not sure if this is related.

The router is ARRIS BGW210-700 software 2.4.4.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…