Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
K

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Sep 18, 2020 11:57 PM

Painfully slow ATT Fiber Internet(BGW210)

I recently got ATT Fiber 1000 plan in August with the BGW210.

My issue is with the Wifi service. It is painfully slow and inconsistent. I am lucky to reach 300 Mbps on my iPhone XR, usually it was sitting between 175-250 Mbps and sometimes dropping to under 100. This is unacceptable as with a 400 Mbps plan with a competitor, I consistently received anywhere from 380-400 Mbps download.

So, I began reading on adding a router behind the BGW210. I set up an Orbi RBR20 behind the ATT provided gateway, in IP passthrough mode, which got me to a consistent 300 Mbps. However, after having more issues, I factory reset the BGW210 and  I switched the Orbi to Access Point mode. Now I am getting around 300-400, depending on time of the day..However, I do believe I should get better than that considering I am paying for 1000 Mbps. I should at least be able to get 500 Mbps. I would even be happy with a consistent 400 Mbps.

Is there a way to get the new BGW320? My parents got Fiber installed a week ago and they got the BGW320 and they are receiving 550-600 Mbps over wifi consistently. I have tried contacting support and I can't even get connected to a real person because "my internet seems just fine". It is quite frustrating to be paying the same as other people and getting half the internet speed as others because I got stuck with the BGW210.

Any help is appreciated.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

2 y ago

What city are you in?  If you're in the same general area as you parents, maybe you can get a BGW320. But they're being slowly rolled out only in specific areas.

What devices are your parents using to get 550-600?  Have you seen what your iPhone will do there?  That's the real test since wifi devices can have varying capabilities and incompatibilities and something I'd do before going to all the trouble of trying to get the BGW320.

As one of the AT&T people said in here the other day when someone said they couldn't get to a human being in support, disconnect your BGW210 when you call in so the automatic line testing fails.

• 

5 Messages

2 y ago

I was able to get connected with somebody finally and they checked and they see there is an issue with the speed, so they are having somebody come out tomorrow to check it and make sure it isn't a faulty BGW210 box.

I'm unsure exactly what model phones or devices they are using, but they are at least a year or so older than all then all the technology I am using here. I'm unsure what time they are testing or how many other people on that stretch have Fiber connectivity though which of course can make a difference.

Right now, hooked up through Cat 6 to the BGW210, I'm getting 489 download, 822 upload, so maybe something is just wrong with the BGW210. We will see tomorrow.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

2 y ago

Yeah, that's not good for a wired connection.

Go into the BGW at 192.168.1.254 and go to Diagnostics->Speed Test and click the Run Speed Test button.  If you get 940-ish up/down then at least you know the problem is after the fiber connection.

What's the make and model # of the wired device? 

You can try a couple of things.....do a factory reset on the BGW (hold the little red button on the back down for 15-20 seconds).  When it comes back up, disable IPv6 and in the Home Network->Configure screen, toggle it off of Auto and see what happens.

If it's a Windows 10 computer download the Ookla Speedtest app from the Microsoft Store and use that.  It's more reliable than using a browser.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.6K Messages

2 y ago

Consistently getting 300-400 wirelessly is acceptable. Expecting 500 wirelessly because you pay for 1000 is not reasonable. @tonydi can explain better than me the theoretical and actual performance of ac WiFi. 

• 

5 Messages

2 y ago

browndk26, I agree it is probably unreasonable to expect 500 over wifi, especially being Wifi 5 still, but I shouldn't have to pay for my own router on top of the equipment ATT makes you pay for just to reach 1/4 of the speed I am paying for. I would be happy with a consistent 300 through the BGW210, but that simply does not happen unfortunately. I should also be getting at least 800 through the wire, not the lousy 500 (+/- 50) that I get consistently.

For reference, I just disconnected my router and set the wifi back up on the BGW210 and received the lightning fast speeds of 14.2 download and 22 upload. 10 minutes later, 232 download 186 upload. This is what I am talking about with the lack of consistent Wifi. 

According to the speed test on the diagnostics page, I am getting 997 download and 923 upload. It is looking like a bad BGW210 causing the issue, but I will update this post accordingly after my appointment tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the opinions!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

2 y ago

While it's certainly possible that the BGW is bad (well, that's a relative term because even "good" ones aren't very good) but you will be very disappointed if they swap that one out for another one and you're not any better off.

It's at least as likely that it's your own equipment.  I know, 90% of the people who come in here swear it isn't and give all sorts of anecdotal support for that idea.  But the fact of the matter is that some devices, for reasons I don't fully understand, just don't play nicely with the AT&T gateways.  That's why it was important that you answered my question about make/model of the computer and that you at least tried the things I suggested.

Good luck with your tech visit (I hope they actually show up...recently there are a lot of reports of last minute cancellations) and if you are in an area where the BGW320 is available, insist on getting one of those.  These are brand new so we don't have any history to go on and can't say if they're better than the BGW210 or Pace 5268ac but it seems unfathomable that it would be much worse so it's worth taking a shot.

• 

5 Messages

2 y ago

tonydi, I am going to try your suggestions today to see if that helps. However, since it has been fluctuating since day 1, I figured it would at least be worth them coming out to take a look. The issues happens on all devices that we are using (iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, MacBook Air 2017, MacBook Pro mid 2015). Do you know if these devices tend to have issues with the gateway?

ATT showed up and confirmed that a little fluctuation is typical, but confirmed I should be seeing 250-350 consistently using the gateway and it should never drop below the 50 I was seeing without an outage. He checked the ONT and it was throwing error codes, so he swapped that out which is odd as I was seeing full speed to the gateway using the gateway speed test, but maybe it was having issues causing the sudden slow downs of service before coming back up.

BGW320 isn't available in the area as of now.

Wired speeds through the gateway is 778 download/915 upload now. Wifi through the gateway 243/270 respectively, Wifi through the Orbi is 432/382 respectively. So I will continue using the Orbi for now for wifi.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

2 y ago

I'm so glad to hear that they actually showed up.  There have been reports about a certain group of ONTs that are defective but I haven't been able to come up with the range of serial numbers affected.

I'm actually surprised that you aren't seeing good speed tests but extremely sluggish page loads.  That's the #1 complaint coming from Apple users and it seems to affect iPhones, iPads and Macs.  I suspect slower than max speeds but normal browsing is something all of those users would kill for!

I just looked and it turns out there's a Mac app version of Ookla's Speed Test so I urge you to download it from the Mac App Store and see if your numbers look better. 

I presume this isn't the WiFi6 Orbi, right?  If it's not then the Orbi download speed looks about right to me for an 802.11ac device.

What do you see for wired speeds through the Orbi?

On the Orbi, make sure you have IPv6, QoS and Traffic Manager disabled.

Finally, if you really want to go for max speeds (I'm not sure what that really gets you given that your numbers aren't awful) you might want to turn off IP Passthrough and set the Orbi to AP Mode to see what that gives you.  Orbi users report that their speeds look better in AP although since this makes the Orbi into a simple wifi radio you do lose some functionality that's part of being a router.  Here's a link that shows what doesn't work in AP Mode.

Definitely get the Ookla app and let's see what your numbers look like on the Macs, both wired and wireless.

• 

5 Messages

2 y ago

First of all I want to apologize for the slow response as I have been waiting to test speed reliability. So far so good! I did upgrade to an Orbi RBR50 over the RBR20 I was using, which has increased my speed by about 75 Mbps. I am getting consistently 375-450 now.

I am not a fan of the Mac Speedtest app. It gives extremely inconsistent results - it will tell me 70 Mbps through the wire, then if you close the app and restart it, it will say 800+ Mbps on the same server. Never had that issue with the Windows app. On average I get about 800-850 through the Orbi wired.

The Orbi is set up in AP mode to give max wireless speeds since the router functions seem to be just fine on the BGW, just poor wireless I guess.

Since my issues seem to be resolved, I am going to mark an accepted answer.

Thanks for all the help!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

5K Messages

2 y ago

No apologies necessary, I'd rather you took your time with troubleshooting than rush it and jump to conclusions.

Sorry to hear that the Mac app fails so spectacularly.  I only found out that it existed right before I posted about it and since I have no Macs here to test with I didn't realize that it wasn't very good.  I'll refrain from suggesting it for the time being.

Anyway, super happy to hear that the wifi numbers are up into the maximum range!

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.